How about Sea Badge training...........

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I also correct both you and I, it is actually called Seabadge Conference. Not Seabadge (one word) as you corrected me.

Although I did not ask what it was.......the course you describe must be a different Seabadge Conference I'm not aware of.

The course I asked about really does not have to do with advanced Ship administration. What you described is found in the Sea Scout Manual and found in the Sea Scout Officers Specialized Training, which is a prerequisite for the Seabadge Conference. The course I'll be taking has the primary goal similar to Wood Badge of leadership theory and practices and includes ways to improve motivational skills.

Now back to the question, anyone taken it? How was it?

Thanks

(This message has been edited by GNX Guy)

Well, Bob, I think GNX Guy knew what it was...

I haven't taken the training. But Kahuna found it to be pretty useful: http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=113579#id_113587

Eamonn and CNYScouter were talking about going: http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=180799#id_181097

And seabear recommended it: http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=106275#id_106348

It looks like it's offered what, about once per year per region? So about 120 people take it each year? Fairly select group.

http://www.seascout.org/for_leaders/adult_recognition/adult-seabadge.html

From the description, it sounds a lot like Wood Badge, but aimed at Sea Scouters. But I'd be interested in hearing actually experiences as well.

Sigh...Sea Scout Leader Specialized training is a course that "gives participants the the information they need for understanding and using the Sea Scout Manual"(at least that is what is says in the the trainers instructions, when I taught the course a few months ago.)

Seabadge which takes place over the course of a single weekend rather than a week-long or two-weekends like Wood Badge. While it has some leadership skills it is mostly the sharing of program and program managemet information between participants.

"The Seabadge Conference program first presents the overall Aims and Methods of Sea Scouting and how they relate to the purposes of Scouting. It then deals briefly with instructional methods and techniques. We then get into the key issues where most of the conference time will be spent: motivational theory, management versus leadership, planning, problem solving, decision making, management principles, and finally, behavioral theory as another view before tying all this together as the basis of management and leadership."

seascout.org

Officers in our ship who have attended the training say that it is primarily program management and administative skills. But being a conference style the content of each course varies with the knowledge and experiences brought by the mix of participants.

Why not go and enjoy, you can determine for yourself what the course was about after you go?

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

There is a link to the training

http://www.seascout.org/for_leaders/adult_recognition/adult-seabadge.html'>http://www.seascout.org/for_leaders/adult_recognition/adult-seabadge.html

And a pp on the Sea Scout web site

http://www.seascout.org/

As yet I have not taken the training.

So I really can't comment on how good or bad it is!!

I'd like to try and attend this year.

Sad thing for me is that it seems all the courses are a fair distance away.

A couple of years back there was one in Maryland (Curtis Yard) That would have been nice!!

The Central Region had one in Ohio, but moved it to someplace in Michigan, I think that was the year before last?

CNYScouter (As Oak Tree posted) informs me that there is a course in Connecticut this year.

Maybe I'm getting lazy? But it seems like a long drive for a weekend course.

I'm kinda inclined to wait until a course a little closer to home is offered.

Who knows, maybe by then the new Sea Scout Manual will be out?

Ea.

• 4 weeks later...

I brought this thread up and was going to give some feedback a bit earlier today when I returned from training, but had to run out to my men's hockey league game.

Well, I liked it, learned a bunch and WOULD do it again. I had a preconcieved notion that the Sea Scouters in general might be a bit "starched" boy was I wrong. A great bunch of guys and gals and I don't think I lauged so hard since I got back from Powder Horn. I was laughing so hard I had to use my inhaler. :)

This was the LARGEST Seabadge course on record. 48 participants. Usually it is limited to a max of 30 but I think I heard attendance is usually 25 - 30 with 4- 6 conferences per year.

Met Charles Holmes, The top Venturing / Sea Scout professional from Texas. I like that guy. Very candid. He wants to see a magazine for Venturing / Sea Scouts. He also gave us his direct email and phone number.

As I think I mentioned,the prerequisite training of "Sea Scout Officers Specialized training" was indeed a review of the Sea Scout manual.

The Seabadge Conference was indeed what I wrote about in an earlier post above. Leadership theory, with the 1st ever presented "Leave no Trace" for water activites. Discussed planning, team building, Marketing, recruiting, Leadership styles, and a few others.

You'd think the "knot" you earn would be the correct size to be worn along with all the other knots. Not so, it is huge. And that is why most of the scouters who earn this knot actually use the unofficial knot that is the proper size. Also earned a cool "Seabadge" badge to be worn above the right pocket and of course a certificate suitable for framing.

GNX Guy wrote

""As I think I mentioned,the prerequisite training of "Sea Scout Officers Specialized training" was indeed a review of the Sea Scout manual."

Hey GNX... wasn't I the guy who wrote that? Were is what I wrote "Sigh...Sea Scout Leader Specialized training is a course that "gives participants the the information they need for understanding and using the Sea Scout Manual"

You said the SSOST was about Ship Administration.

Didn't your Seabadge cover any of the things mentioned on Seascouting.org? Like;

Aims amd Mission

instructional methods and technique

Leadership styles

planning

problem solving

48?(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Not sure what your getting at? In the thread I'm reading, the 3rd post by YOU says Seabadge is admin training. Administration of the program is covered in Sea Scout Officers Specialized training. If I have to spell it out, much of the class (SSOST)takes you through the Sea Scout Manual, how the program is to be delivered or you may use the word administered, etc, as I mentioned in my post #4. You later cut an pasted additional information from another source that I already knew.

Try reading again the 2nd to the last paragraph I wrote in my latest thread, and that too lines up with what I originally said in post #4.

Yup, SSOST was about administering the Sea Scout program, ie, advancement, delivering the program, trainings and a review of of other things in the Sea Scout manual.

The Seabadge Conference focuses on the details of Leadership issues as I detaled in the latest post.

Administration has to do with conducting affairs, delivering and yes, a hint of mgt. To further define mgt, would be the things I listed in the 2nd to the last paragraph in my latest post above which was covered in the Seabadge Conference along with a few other things.

I'm not sure what part you don't understand?

I was trying to point out that it was not you who said that the SSOST was about the Contents of the Manual, that was me. I also posted what seascout.net said was in the Seabadge course and half of it was there. What happend to the other half I am not sure.

You posted that you thought that Seabadge was similar to Wood Badge in content.

That would have been correct had you said Wood Badge of 20 to 25 years ago.

The teminologies and methods were outdated and did not match those used in Venturing, or any other program in Scouting. They are nothing like the content of the Wood Badge that has existed for the past 8 years, and in fact were from a Wood Badge version that was largely replaced in 1986.

I am glad you enjoyed the course along with the 44 other participants. I hope you will have the opportunity to attend other Sea Scout or Venturing courses that have the more current management and leadership materials than this one had.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Sigh.

Keep in mind that Sea Scout Officers Specialized Training is a 3 hour course to cover the basics of Sea Scouting, and as an add-on to the 5 hour Venturing Leader Specific Training.

So, can't really get too deeply into the program. So they cover the basics of how a ship is run, the sea scout uniform, advancement program, etc.

The Seabadge Conference really gets into the adminstration of the Sea Scout program. Yes, there is SOME leadership, but not to the extent you get in Wood Badge. BUT, Seabadge gets into more advanced/indept areas of running a Ship.

FWIW, I've been to Seabadge. If you are a Sea Scout leader, you really MUST attend one. If you are a Venturing leader that wants to really learn more about Sea Scouting, consider going (some regions allow this). I know of a few Venturing leaders who attending Seabadge and really got into Sea Scout because of it.

Bob White, it's evident that you have some sort of agenda that coinsides with mine of simply providing some usefull information to other scout leaders.

I'm here trying to promote Scouting, Seabadge and Sea Scouting in a positive way with my posts and your trying to drag them down. Not too good for Scouting and not very Scout like. I'm happy to have taken the class, met a great bunch of folks and would take it again. It was a great resource. I like to learn so I can give the youth the best possible experienace I can rather than give folks a hard time.

I recently took Wood Badge and our Course Director asked at the begining of the class and at the end. When you hear the words Wood Badge, what do you think of? I seem to remember the

Correct answer was "LEADERSHIP" Yes, there were topics presented during Seabadge that were similar to Wood Badge for the 21st century. Heck, that was even mentioned during the conference.

I did not list every single detail of what we covered in the Seabadge Conference, I wrote that we covered "Leave no Trace for water activites, discussed planning, team building, Marketing, recruiting, Leadership styles, and a few others. Read the last 4 words, "and a few others" Remember that listening is a leadership skill, I seem to remember that from both Wood Badge for the 21st and Seabadge. Maybe spend some time actually reading my posts rather trying to attack me. What the heck are you trying to prove? Heck, I thought earlier on that we had a good chance of maybe sharing some scouting experiences with you and your unit since we are right next door. I do not want to expose the youth I serve to this type of belittling treatment and I certainly hope you don't treat the youth in your units this way.

I think I'll spend my time working to improve Scouting for the youth rather than taking your approach of trying to bash my comments. Many of your comments in the way you present them may actually discourage leaders and participation in training.

Heading out to the Scout office now. :)