How far do you travel for Roundtable?

New Forum Member, Moxieman, posts that some of the leaders in his district travel 2 hours to roundtable. We can't even get folks from only a couple of miles away to attend ours regularly.

How far do you and other leaders in your district travel?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ours is about 20 miles from where I live. We do a joint RT with another district so turnout is ok - they have a fairly large pool to draw from.

I don't go that often because a) they're not that useful and b) they're held on the one night of the week that is always a problem for me. (and given a, I have little incentive to try to deal with b.)

Lisa'bob

About 6 or 7 miles - it's held at the church where our Pack meets.

We recently lost our RT Commissioner to a military transfer, so RTs are disjointed right now - no real focus, no new information.

I do like hearing what other Packs are doing, and they do present general information about day camp and other district events. But I plan our den calendar WAY far in advance - RT ideas aren't very helpful when they come.

clydesdale115

It was about 10 miles, but we outgrew that facility. Our current facility is about six miles away.

We're also a relatively small district, only two counties. The furthest away is not quite 30 miles from the site.

Well, this thread was spun off one of my posts, so I guess I need to respond, huh? (chuckle)

Kennebec Valley District (http://www.kv-scouts.org) covers all of Kennebec, Somerset and Franklin Counties and small portions of Lincoln and Androscoggin Counties in west central Maine. North to south, our district is roughly 120 miles. East to west at the southern end it's about 40 miles across...at the northern end it's about 60 miles across. The majority of our population is in the southern end of the district, but we have units up near the Canadian border in the towns of Jackman (northern Somerset County) and Rangeley (northern Franklin County). Leaders from these towns need to travel approximately 2 hours on backroads to attend roundtable.

We hold two roundtables a month, one in Oakland (roughly 20 miles north of the state capital of Augusta) and Farmington, county seat of Franklin County, 35 miles northwest (as the crow flies) of Augusta.

When I hear someone complain about how far it is for them to travel to our roundtable, I introduce them to the leaders of Jackman Pack & Troop 497 who make the meeting (driving 100 or so miles each way through mostly wilderness and having to dodge moose and deer on the way) nearly every month. This usually ends the complaints.

So if you have someone in your district whining that a 10 mile drive is too far, offer to transfer them up to Jackman, Maine. (chuckle)

GernBlansten wrote:

"Wed, OA Chapter meeting - 33 miles one way

Thursday, Roundtable - 33 miles one way"

Roughly 15 years ago, we moved our OA Chapter meeting to the same night/time/location as the roundtable. OA attendance shot upward as the youth members could get rides from the scoutleaders attending roundtable.

Our chapter also has its meeting on RT night.

For moxieman, there is an option in the RT training curriculum, called HUDDLE. As it was taught to me at Commisioner's College, it's designed to support the isolated unit by bringing tailored support from the district to the "far travelled" destination.

You might ask your Key 3.

Only about 15 miles one way. We almost never attend because it's on the same night as our troop meeting. When we formed the district about 6 years ago this was brought up but the night worked for most of the others. Kinda makes us the outcasts of the district.

I had a similar issue - Roundtable ended up being the same night as the committee meeting. So - I would go to Roundtable first (about 2.5 miles from my house), stay about 10 minutes and gather any materials / handouts, and then travel .75 miles to my committee meeting (in the direction of my house). At least I was able to meet some people, keep some connections going, and get my material.

It was nice on those nights when the committee meeting was changed - I got to spend the entire time at Roundtable. In some cases - I got a lot of good information out of it.