SALT and BASS equivelent training

I'm trying to build an adult leader trainig table for our troop. Does anyone know what the equivelents are for SALT and BASS training? I searched the internet and could not find any definitive answers.

Here is what I did learn: Before September of 2001 Scoutmaster training was known as "SALT" and "BASS".

I have no idea what BASS stood for.

SALT may have stood for Scout Adult Leader Training or Scoutmaster and Asistant scoutmaster Leader Training

The SALT and BASS training was replaced by

Boy Scout Leader Fast Start

Boy Scout New Leader Essentials

Boy Scout Leader Specific Training

Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills

The last three classes are required for the "TRAINED" patch.

I don't know what was required for the pre Sep-2001 "TRAINED" patch

Never heard of either on a national level Jon. It is quite likely that these were local acronyms used for the national training programs.

The official course names for the training prior to the current curriculum was;

Scoutmaster Fundamentals

and

The Outdoor Expierience

Completion of these two courses earned the TRAINED strip for your uniform and completed the basic training for Scoutmasters, Assistant Scoutmasters and Troop Committee Members.

The troop committee has now been separated to its own continuum of;

New Leader Essentials

and

Troop Committee Challenge

Prior to these courses Scout Leader training was called; Scout Leader Training (SLT) HEY! I just realized where they got SaLT from! Prior to that it was called Cornerstone training

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

For whatever reason, local councils have in the past applied their own names to the same syllabi. Here in Mount Diablo Silverado Council, Scoutmaster Fundamentals used to be called "Bear Paw". Don't ask me where that came from. I have no idea.

BW,

Speaking of customization...this takes the thread off in a slightly different direction, but I think appropriately so.

The boy scout Outdoor Leader Skills syllabus strives to introduce leaders to all the skills required for the rank of First Class. Thinking of some things that have come up on other threads, I think some degree of customization where local conditions vary is appropriate. For example, in the thread on Sheath Knives, it came out the the scouts on Guam use machetes for good and sound reasons. I would think adult leader training for scouters in that part of the world should logically cover machetes under "woods tools" while it is clearly irrelevant in my part of the world.

I am sure that there are other areas where some degree of local customization would be appropriate. What say you?

My reaction is that that is information or skills best taught in an advanced or supplementary course.

As you have correctly pointed out the goal of the Introduction to Outdoor Skills course is to teach the outdoor skills required to become a first class scout. Since the use of fixed blde knives is not recommended, that is what should be taught in this course. Since the use of a machete is not a requirement for BSA advancement to First Class it should not be taught in this particular course.

It would be more beneficial to stick to the syllabus and thereby the purpose of the course and teach ONLY Basic skills for advancement to First Class.

bOB wHITE