I have just been selected to serve as our district training chair. With the summer water activity season rapidly approaching, I want to offer Safe Swim Defense and Safety Afloat trainings to the unit leaders in our district. Does anyone know what the qualifications are for a trainer to present these two trainings? Is there an official BSA syllabus?

In the Leadership Training Committee Guide, under Supplemental Training, Outdoor Skills Instruction, it lists Outdoor Skills Instruction Aquatics,No.33026.

I have to admit, we normaly cover this at a roundtable, and bring in the Summer Camp Aquatics team.

We tend to get a lot of questions, that these "Guys" are trained to address better then us mere mortals.

The G2SS says that anyone approved by the council can present the trainings. The issue here is getting someone approved. Neither our DE, the council training chair (volunteer), nor the council program director (professional) know what the requirements are to become an approved trainer. Maybe there are none. I suppose the training could simply be an in-depth review of the 8 points listed in the G2SS.

Generally, for to teach most courses you must have taken the course you want to teach and have taken the Trainer Development Course, sometimes called Train the Trainer, but that's the older version.

This isn't a difficult course, basically going over in details the elements of a safe swim, qualified supervision, buddy system, skills testing, etc. Someone in your council should be able to offer the class.