The reason I didnt say anything about the ticket is simple. I still dont understand why the ticket thing is done the way it is, but I respect the people on this forum enough that if they feel so strongly about it, maybe I am missing something and wont elaborate any further.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure how much other people's goals will mean to you but I'll be glad to share some of mine. But they exceed 36 since I have written 4 tickets. On top of that the tickets have changed over the years and in my first course in 1980 along with the goals we had to write two ways we would incorporate each of the 11 leadership skills and what we expected the results to be.

Todays ticket is completely different then that.

Over the years my goals included reading the scout handbook cover to cover annually, working with the troop committee secretary and troop scribe to produce a monthly troop letter, initiating monthly PLC meetings, recruit 2 asst. scoutmasters, serve as Roundtable Commissioner for 3 years, serve on training staff, make 6 FOS presentations a year, set two evenongs a week aside to do things my wife wants to do. Lose 10 lbs, volunteer as a unit organizer, do a personal service project at my church, help 100% of the scouters I coach/counsel earn their beads, Serve as District Commissioner for three years, set a good example by wearing the scout unifom correctly at all times.

I look back at things that 23 years ago were real challenges for me and yet today seem everyday habit. That was my point the things that might go into a ticket for me is dependent on where I am and what I am doing at a specific time in my life, and will have very little relevence to anyone else.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

One of my WB classmates (another patrol) came to the course with his ticket already completed (or so he thought), and had done considerable research in an effort to "rig" or "game" the system...calling this guy Type "A" makes Type "A" people everywhere look like sloths.

At any rate, he was very frustrated throughout, had a miserable time, and by extension, so did the people in his patrol (and, for that matter, the rest of us when we played "The Game of Life").

Not to be obtuse or zen-like, but relax and let it roll over you like ocean waves...

KS

Troop_358_potlatch

Everyone going into Woodbadge who has posted on this forum about it has been preoccupied with the ticket. I didn't know much about the ticket before starting the course and I think I was better off for it.

But because you and others are thinking about it I'll mention some of my feelings.

OGE mentioned that he was told about the ticket on Saturday and the ticket was due on Sunday. I attended the old course and we were instructed about writing our tickets all through the course. It wasn't due until the last day of the course. The ticket involves items that put into practice the skills that you learn throughout the course. It involves items that will improve yourself and your unit, so talk with your fellow unit leaders and your family. Be very honest with yourself. You will benefit very much from this experience.

Now about completing the ticket:

I personally think that the bead ceremony does not end your Woodbadge experience. Continue to help yourself and your unit with these learned skills. Adapt these skills into your workplace and everyday life. This training is for you and everyone around you should benefit because you will be a better person. Keep in touch with your Patrol. My patrol members are very close and communicate regularly. We care about each other and we know every member can count on the other.

Would I trade this experience for another? Heck NO!

I look forward to taking Wood Badge at some point, hopefully the next time it is offered. Unfortunately, because we are a small council, it is typically offered only every two years or less. I had wanted to take the course offered last fall, but the timing was bad and I was already committed to camp school, so my hour a week was booked.

At the time, there was a similar thread to this one which I read with great interest. I have to say I was somewhat put off by the lack of information both here and in the information coming from our council. Wood Badge may be the greatest thing since sliced white bread (and it sounds like it is), but it is also a big commitment. I think reasonable adults want to understand what that commitment is going to be. I get "two, three-day weekends" but a "ticket" that takes 18 to 24 months to complete is a vague concept to most folk.

So instead of all the "it will be revealed to you" mumbo-jumbo, give us a straight answer -- "your ticket will include five service projects which will benefit your unit, district, council or community. Some of the projects may take only a few hours to complete, some much longer, but it's ultimately up to you. You shouldn't, however, try to write your ticket before the course as an important part of the ticket is implementing what you learn at Wood Badge. If you try to develop your ticket before hand, you don't receive the full benefit of the program."

If I can explain that, having never set foot in a Wood Badge class (and assuming I've got it right), why can't the Beaded Ones explain it that way?

The ticket is simply a set of goals you develop for your position in Scouting and will accomplish using the skills you learn on the course.

There is a minimum amount of time to accomplish these goals and a maximum amount of time. The ticket should take no less than six months and no more than 24.

Ticket items (individual goals) can be changed or modified after the course if there are changes, in position, marital status, and other things along those lines.

During the course, make notes of ideas that you would like to implement in your position. When it comes time to write your ticket you'll have lots of stuff to draw on.

DS(This message has been edited by dsteele)

A primary purpose of the Wood Badge experience is to provide leadership for Scouting and leadership for America.Your ticket is a commitment to complete a set of goals that will aignificantly strengthen the BSA program in which you are involved.Additionally, the ticket provides an opportunity for you to practice leadership skills that will be of value in many areas of your life, both within and beyond Scouting.

Your ticket will include five significant goals.

-The goals will be writtenin support of your current Scouting responsibilities and should be designed to provide maximum positive impact for youth membership.

-At least one of the five goals will incorporate some aspect of diversity.

The goals written for your ticket should be SMART:

- Specfic

-Measurable

-Attainable

-Relevant

-Time-Based

For each goal, you will also indicate

-Who

-What

-Where

-When

-How

-Why

-How verified.

The troop guide assigned to your patrol will help you prepare your ticket.

Scouting has always been an organization without secrets. This was taken from the Staff Guide.

A Wood Badge ticket is:

A commitment

A vision of personal improvement

A vision of how the Scouter will lead

A seris of goals

Your ticket should be guided by:

Your personal values

Your vision

Your personal mission.

That is all there is to it.

Like Bob White, I have over the years written more then my fair share of tickets. I first took Wood Badge, back in 1975 at Gilwell Park. I was at the time a Scout Leader in England. The ticket was more about what you were doing to improve your troop. The final report was very long and took hours and hours to write.

My next visit to the "Happy Land" was at the Cub Scout Leader Trainer Wood Badge, this time all the ticket items had to do with training. Over the years I have written tickets as a staff member, mainly on things that I could do to improve, how I could better live up to our Oath and Law.

Last Summer, I served on the "New" course for the first time, as a Troop Guide for the Beavers. The six members were all great Scouts, and the ticket item that I was thinking would be really hard. The Diversity Goal, they put me to shame. They had goals that ranged from working with special olympics, to planning and running a Scouts Own Service.

Please Don't let the Ticket put you off or deter you from what is really a great and worthwhile course.

Bob's right. That's what I get for answering from memory instead of looking it up.

I found the 18 month thing in the syllabus and course director's guide.

However, I can't find the 6 months minimum. Did that go away, too? Or am I just looking in the wrong place? It doesn't happen often, but it happens.

DS