How many posters are BSA trained?

Explorer level training (both as a youth and as an adult advisor) in late 70's / early 80's

Out of scouting until four years ago.

In that 4 years, position specific training for Cub Scout Den Leader, Cubmaster and Scoutmaster - anticipate continuting for the forseeable future. Getting Climb On Safety training this week at camp.

YIS

Quixote

I started with Den Leader Basic Training and Youth Protection. The next year I went to Webelos Leader Training, Outdoor Webelos Leader Training (OWL), which included Youth Protection,and Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO). I also was trained in Safe Swim Defense and Safety Afloat. After all that training I was invited to join the District Training Team and have served as staff for several training sessions including another OWL session. I have also received the new Scouting Fundamentals as well as Specific training for Cubmaster and Pack Admin. I have now been to no less than 6 sessions of Youth Protection. I think I can repeat that video tape in my sleep!

When my son moves up to Boy Scouts, I anticipate even more training at that time.

• 3 weeks later...

I began with Webelos Leader Outdoor Training that also included Basic Training. Over the next several years, I have completed both Cub Scout and Boy Scout Woodbadge courses, Scoutmastership Fundamentals, Day Camp Training, was the Youth Protection Trainer for 2 years, District Training Chairman for 3 years, Commissioner Trainer, Council Training Team, Pow-Wow trainer in 2 different councils/states, Webelos Leader Outdoor Training Chairman, University of Scouting trainer and Trail to Eagle summer camp trainer. In my spare time ;) I was an ADC, key staff of several district events on both cub and boy scout sides, Program Director of Day Camp, District committee (secretary for a couple of years) and FOS and School Night for Scouting representative.

The best way that I received continuous updating on my training and kept up with the new changes and policies was by being on the training team. I highly recommend that anyone who would even consider standing before a crowd and sharing your knowledge or reading from cue cards - volunteer for the training team in your district. Even if it's as a co-trainer and you have a small part to present - it's worth it! :)

I have been trained in Cub Scouting, but am still waiting for the Boy Scout training. It's been over a year, and it keeps getting cancelled. I am a commitee member and a MB counselor.

I do try to keep up with the program, though. I have read every manual my son ever brought home - Tiger thru Boy Scout (including the field book and OA member manuals) from cover to cover, several times each. This forum and other websites are also instructive. I don't know how to get hold of other printed material.

A Whine - it gets frustrating to have training cancelled so often for the "lesser positions". Our SM, who recently took over the training stuff in our District, half-jokingly suggested I go for a District level job so I could finally get my training in.

Another Whine - District keeps losing the MB counselors paperwork. No-one knows who counsels what outside of their own troops. We have a new man now who just took over coordinating this aspect (I forget the official title). He seems pretty capable, but once again I have to fill out all the forms, including that of adult leader application (the 4th time in 2 years)!

Perhaps I should serve some cheese w/all the whine I'm pouring out. ;)

rlculver415...

Don't give up hope brother. Did you know that you can go to other councils for training? Matter of fact, if you let me know what training you want, I will send you all the info you need to "Come on Down" to SW Florida and get it! After all, your only a hop, skip and a jump from here.

I believe wholeheartedly in training. I've attended Scoutmastership Fundamentals, Woodbadge, have a Doctorate from our University of Scouting Arts, and am working towards a degree from our College of Commissioner Science. I'll leave out all the smaller taining I've done.

Mamafox is right on the mark: volunteer to train someone. It could be the most important thing you could share with other adults in Scouting.

Caution: Make the training fun, we adults are no more than big kids:)

I reup my Safe Swim Defense every two years & just went through a Youth Protection Training refresher course at summer camp. I haven't attended any other training but do kepp up with the SM manual updates as well as the BS Handbook updates.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

I first trained under the old Basic Cub Scout Leader course, but have since had New Leader Essentials and position-specific training for Tiger Leader, Den Leader and Committee Member. I've been trying since April to do my Webelos training but have had Webelos Leader cancelled out from under me once and WLOT cancelled twice.

If I may, I'd like to join the whine and cheese crowd for a moment. Unless the objective is to re-train all Cub leaders every year, there are too many dang position-specific courses. There is very little difference between the courses. It's a distinction without difference.

I like the New Leader Essentials course. I think it is good that all levels of Scouters get the same big-picture overview of the program. But the problem is that they've pushed the Cub Scout program basics into the position-specific courses. The first 90 minutes of all the position-specific courses includes the same info on the basic program structure, how Packs are organized, uniforms, etc. And unfortunately, there is far too little information related to the specific position you're training for. I may barf if I have to play that "Pin the Badge on the Cub Scout" game again!

May I have another slice of the brie, please?

Fast Start / Cub Leader Basic / OWLS / Scoutmaster Fundamentals / Woodbadge ( antelope! ) / Trainer Development / Staffing for about two years now / Council Training Comm. / Council Exec. Board

That 1 hour per week - that's all that is left!

• 2 weeks later...

I went through all the training when in Cubs. Since moving to Boy Scouts, completed all the basic courses and did Woodbadge 2001. Just finished working my ticket. (Bears are the top of the food chain). Worked last year on staff of the new outdoor leader skills training. I agree, the best way to stay current is to teach it.

• 2 weeks later...

With my focus on High Adventure, I try to attend every few years basic Unit Leader training to stay in touch with the changes.

As for Youth Protection, I average 2 to 3 training sessions every year (NCS, camp staff, council specific)...

Other than that I generally spend the entire year keeping current, or training on my certifications for summer camp (C.O.P.E., Trek Leader, EMT, ARC Lifegaurding, Swift Water Rescue, AHA CPR/DeFib, Climbing Director/Instructor).

Did Cub Scout Basic training soon after becoming a Leader (in the first year of Webelos for my son), included Youth Protection. That was about 20 months ago.

Now we are with a troop. I'm waiting for Boy Scout Leader training in October. Didn't take it in February/March because I wasn't sure what I was going to do. Looks like the next outdoor leader training is next February in our district.

No one in our council is offering Cub Scout BALOO training yet!!!!!

Like someone else said, I read everything I can get my hands on and then read it again. Then frequent boards like this one and keep my mind and ears open to what is being said.

To answer the topic question, I'm trained.

A little off topic, but Le Voyageur, how did your canoeing program go this year? We're thinking of sending a group. We were at Powhatan, and did New River, etc.. Any changes for next year?

Thanks to all for your patience.

sst3rd

SST3rd

The Trek did pretty good overall dispite very low water levels. Lots of good scouts and scouters made for one great summer that flew by. We've also started working on Indian Camp shifting to a more Eastern Woodlands identity and away from the Plains/Hollywood Indians of the past. Hoping to have our industrial strength wigwam (rebar and fiberglass bark) finished by then, with luck we might have one or two more built. The goal is to make Hemlock Grove look like a John White sketch of the late 16th century...

What I'm hoping for next year is,

1. To distant the Trek from the High Knoll Trail menu, and focus more on foods and cooking techniques of the Fur Trade era.

2. Ban matches, lighters, etc. for flint and steel.

3. More living history, would like to co-op with Indian Camp for a tie in. Since we have everyone portaging to Hemlock Grove, kinda thinking about a mock ambush in route where trekers are takened "hostage". Would get all in the spirit of the program very quickly..

4. Locating non State run campgrounds. Rangers tend to frown a whole bunch on black powder shooting on their turf.

5. Get trekers to carry less gear, and have more faith in their camping/outdoor skills.

6. Add the Historical Trail award to the program.

7. Try and get National to rewrite the requirements for the American Heritage merit badge (it's okay if you like doing written reports, be more fun if they would add some living history to it.)

Looking forward to seeing your crew next year. We'll make sure that they'll have of ton of fun....LV

• 1 month later...

I am an assistant Course Director for a Southern California council and the rule is here that once you finished being Course Director you are effectively retired from Wood Badge. The reason is according to the New Wood Badge Administrative guide is to promote new Scouters to work on Wood Badge, that staff shouldn't be a clique, they same staff each year. Each course staff should consist of 1/3 new staffers. This will allow more Scouters to have the opportunity to be on staff.

I guess the thinking is more people that go through Wood Badge the better it is for Scouting and the more people that serve on Wood Badge staff makes it that much better for Scouting.

I was asked to be Scoutmaster over a small troop that was trying to resurrect their program; I hadn't been trained at all. I started asking around for training and courses were either 6 to 12 months away, so when I first became Scoutmaster it was like walking around in the dark. I watched every video I could get my hands on, bought and read the training manuals.

Then started to get the actual training. Scoutmaster fundamentals, Outdoor Leader, Wood Badge, High Adventure ect... Now I am on the District Training Staff. Along with New Leader Essentials I have given the NEW Position Specific trainings for Boy Scout Scoutmaster Specific, Varsity Varsity Coach Specific, Intro to Outdoor Leaders and Baloo. Taking training is great I have found that teaching has been the more help than simply taking the training.. Now in our District we offer every training session needed to qualify for the Trained Patch every 4 months.