How many posters are BSA trained?

Scouts Honor now. How many of of the posters here have completed Basic Leader Training for their current positions, in the last 7 years. I use that point of reference because the programs have changed a whole lot since that time.

Remember Scouts Honor!

Please answer only once.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

But your poll limited my answer. I am trained at both the Boy Scout AND Cub Scout levels. I have sought out and received training for every position I have been registered for. Unfortunately, it often took awhile to get the trainning, not because I didn't sign up but because it wasn't offered or it was cancelled.

I am on Boy Scout, Cub Scout and Commissioner training staffs. As such, I keep my training current. I have completed Wood Badge, National Camp School, and am considering both Wood Badge for the 21st Century and training at the National Training Center at Philmount.

I took Scoutmaster Fundamentals in 1992, was Scoutmaster of Scoutmaster Fundamentals in 1997. Attended Woodbadge - Eagle Patrol - in 1995 and completed my ticket in 1996. I was a memeber of our District Training Staff from 1993 to 1997 and served as a staff member on Scoutmaster Fundamentals & LLT. I resigned from the District duties (except Camping Commmittee) in 1997 to become Scoutmaster of my Troop.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Happy 4th of July!

Is the point your trying to make that people should go through training again to be updated on changes? I agree. I am also Cub leader Trained, Had my Scoutmaster Fundamentals Training, and Commissioner Trained. Your poll should be so you can check more than one. Many of us wear or have worn more than one hat.

Feathers

I realize that some volunteers do more than 1 job however the structure of this Board only allows me to give you 4 choices. most people do 1 primary job, and I am wondering how many have completed basic training for that job in the last 7 years.

I appreciate that some volunteers have gone beyond basic, but I really didn't wnat this to become a contest as to who has been to more or done more. I just was wondering how many are basic trained in their primary position.

Bob White

So, if my training occurred more than 7 years ago, I'm worthless. Thanks a lot!! Maybe my initial courses happened years ago, but you make it your responsibility to keep yourself updated. There is plenty of written documentation of the changes, and Roundtables have kept everyone informed of changes to the Scouting program on all levels. There are many fundementals of Scouting that will NEVER change. If you want to be the best Scouter you can be (in whatever position you are), you always strive for it. Through all available avenues, the information IS there.

anderson

The reason it suggested to take training every 3 years is that the BSA is dynamic, the program is minorly changed every 2-3 years and majorly every 7-10 years(watch the literature changes). If you attend training every 3 years, you can keep up with the lastest changes, which the training teams are made aware of by their DE and/or District Training Cooridinater.

Repeating basic training every three years, IMHO, is probably not the best use of scarce time. When I first joined up as an adult, I tried to attend some kind of training event at least once a year, without repeating anything. This way I was able to learn new things. In October, I did participate in the new "position specific training" precisely because I knew there were going to be changes.

To me, trying to do something training wise on an annual basis makes more sense than repeating the same course every three years.

Great, after I submit my reply, the results show up! A reload/refresh didn't do the trick. I'm guessing the percentage of trained forum users is higher than the general population of BSA leaders.