So, about this ticket thing...

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 ScouterPaul

ScouterPaul

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 10:05 AM

OGE Congratulations!!! I know that your Wood Badge experience will be a Mountain Top Experience. Don't worry to much about your ticket. I thought I knew what I wanted for my ticket before I attended the first part of WB. My ticket is totally different that what I thought it would be. It is much much better. Use your Troop Guide, who will be one of your greatest resources. Good Luck and have fun. Paul Owl Patrol SR-438

#22 KoreaScouter

KoreaScouter

• Members
  • 1166 posts

Posted 18 June 2002 - 01:43 AM

OGE; I completed the new WB course in early May. Other posters are right, it's not about secrecy, it's just that laying a full syllabus in front of you will ruin the course and prevent the necessary human dynamics from occurring the way they're supposed to. You'll see this for yourself. I have an MBA and years of management and leadership experience -- nonetheless, I "surrendered myself" to the staff...I'm glad I did. One member of our class in another patrol (very Type-A) tried to game it by front-loading everything, having all his ticket items written before he showed up, having all the answers, etc. He was very frustrated and disappointed, in large part because there is no personal or programmatic reward or advantage to doing so. In fact, it's almost certainly counterproductive. I didn't even think about ticket items until the last couple days (we did a week straight rather than two weekends -- tyrrany of distance in the Western Pacific). All were approved by the staff without rewrite. My advice: relax, have fun, make friends, and hold judgment on the course until after you're finished...

#23 donn

donn

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 05:07 PM

Good Luck, It was one of the most meaningful training sesions I have ever attended. Re your tickets(5) each for my classmates. They do not have to be anything tough, just set some realistic goals and achieve them. Mine range from helping all eligable youth obtain there 50 miler this summer when we go canoeing to organizing my scout records at home. As to your patrol project (KISS) keep it simple stupid. Oh ya Eagles critters rule! Have fun, enjoy the time you are there - its one of the few times in life you get to be a kid again. Back to Gilweel, happy land.

#24 dan

dan

• Members
  • 1423 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 09:49 PM

donn Who you be calling stupid! ;) KISS - Keep is simple silly. OGE My training starts on Sunday after a weekend campout with the scouts, I should be good and rested! When does your training start?d

#25 mamafox

mamafox

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 10:19 PM

Congrats and good luck on your Woodbadge adventure! Everyone here has already explained as much as they could without giving you a full-blown explanation. I've seen some great advice given too! :) Like several have said - it's not about "secrecy" in the sense of a secret organization, but it's about not wanting to give you any predisposed ideas of what is going to happen during your Woodbadge course. It is best to go in with a clean slate mind and be like a child the first day of kindergarten! ;) I have beads from both Cub Scout Trainer's Woodbadge and Boy Scout Woodbadge. (southern region and Sam Houston Area Council) I am double-foxed ;) I have not seen the syllabus nor do I know what the "new" combined Woodbadge course is about. I must say that unless they operated it close to what the CS Woodbadge course, it won't hold a candle to it. I was extremely disappointed in the BS Woodbadge course. It was nothing more than a 3 weekend SMF course. =\ Even the ticket requirements were whimpy compared to CS Woodbadge tickets. CS required a total of 15 tickets, 5 categories. (I think that's how many.. close if not accurate, though) We certainly would have never gotten away with a ticket being "put up a tent in my backyard". (I know of several who had that as a ticket item for BS Woodbadge). If you don't know how to put up a tent, you shouldn't be at Boy Scout Woodbadge ;) Ohmy, I've gotten off the track here... sorry! Anyway, best wishes on your course and I hope that you have many wonderful and lifelong memories ahead of you! :)

#26 BubbaBear

BubbaBear

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 06:58 AM

OGE... A thought just occurred to me...since you haven't been through Woodbadge before, you obviously got your name from somewhere else...just think, we might have to start calling you Ole Grey Buffalo:) ...or if you are really lucky...Ole Grey Bear! In regards to the ticket thing, you may find that once you have left Woodbadge, you will want to change your ticket to better match what you are currently doing in Scouting...sit back, enjoy and take it as it comes! Best Wishes.

#27 OldGreyEagle

OldGreyEagle

Super Moderator

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 07:24 AM

Well, I must thank all the good wishers who have posted here. The course starts on August 23, 24, 25,(three full days) and then Sept 13, 14, 15 (three more full days. You should have seen the expressions in the office when I asked for the two fridays off so I could be a "Boy Scout", most are convinced I already am. And Bubba, When I was a scout I attained the Eagle rank. I may end up a Bear (and a good ol' Bear), or a Fox, Buffalo, etc. But I am an Eagle Scout first In the words of the MacScouter Website If you get paid to do Scouting, you are a Professional If you dont get paid to do Scouting, you are a Volunteer If you PAY to do Scouting, you are a Scouter Pax Vobiscum

#28 dan

dan

• Members
  • 1423 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 08:43 PM

OGE On Sunday we have a pre course meeting for 3 hours, does yours?

#29 OldGreyEagle

OldGreyEagle

Super Moderator

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 06:47 AM

No

#30 ASM7

ASM7

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 10:32 PM

OGE Sorry for this late posting and I assume your training will start in the spring. I was fortunate enough to be in the last traditional Woodbadge course in our council. I hope the traditions carry on in the new one. Go into this training with an open mind. Things will be explained when you get there. BubbaBear was right. Maybe you want have to be an eagle much longer. Kodiak Bears are at the top of the food chain! If you go into this like you were a boy again, you will get more out of it and will have a great time. Bears Rule! Does anyone know if Bob White is a Bob White or is that his name?

#31 le Voyageur

le Voyageur

• Members
  • 1155 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 12:55 AM

OGE First, best of luck to you and remember to have fun. So, if I was planning my ticket I would consider developing a new high adventure program for our Council summercamp. Since, this area is heavy in the history department the program would be a week long living history/canoeing trek that would retrace the John White, Ralph Lane expeditions of 1585/86. Also, would try to get the Council interested in a off reservation fishing program based out of the Outer Banks. It would be a mix of inland fishing, as well as a day of deep sea fishing off of the Oregon Inlet. Another area would be to developed a training program for our O.A. Lodge shifting the focus from their Hollywood/Plains Indian pagent to eastern woodlands. Lots of resources in the area which could be tapped into to make this happen.... Again, best of luck

#32 acco40

acco40

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3826 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 09:46 AM

What determines ones primary position as a Scouter? I am currently a registered Webelos Den leader and an Assistant Scoutmaster. From a registration point of view, my primary registration ($7.00 and soon to be $10.00 fee) position is Webelos Den Leader and my secondary ($1.00 fee?) is SA. However, because my den will cross over in five months after my Woodbadge course and I plan on remaining as a SA for at least a few more years, I would like my Woodbadge training to be oriented around my SA activities where appropriate. I stated such in my application. Does anyone foresee a problem with this? Training begin this upcoming weekend and I have had no feedback to date {other than an acceptance letter).(This message has been edited by acco40)

#33 Bob White

Bob White

• Members
  • 9600 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 10:03 AM

I would take WB as an ASM. The thing you need to be sure of is that you have completed the basic training for an ASM. 1) New Leader Essentials (2-hours) 2) SM/ASM Leader Specific Training (7 1/2- hours) 3) Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills (1-weekend) Bob White

#34 ASM7

ASM7

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 10:35 AM

Acco40 Bob's right about the prerequisite training for Woodbadge. Whether you attend as a Webelo Leader or an ASM, You will custom design your ticket for your future growth. If you will predominately be involved in Troop functions, it will be harder for you to complete ticket items in a Pack setting. A good ticket item might be to be a liason between Pack and Troop since you are in that transition stage. You stated that you expect to be an ASM for a few more years. I hope that means that after that, you will assume another position such as SM. Since your group is crossing over soon, try to help out with the transition for the parents. You know them pretty well by now and some have trouble with the transition. It is also a good way to recruit adult leaders. Doug maybe you can be a good old Bear too.

#35 OldGreyEagle

OldGreyEagle

Super Moderator

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 10:40 AM

ACCO, Where are you doing your training, my WB course starts this week end as well

#36 acco40

acco40

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3826 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 11:08 AM

Thanks for the response guys. Yes, I've had fast track and basic leader training for both positions. My concern was that I determine my primary position and not the trainers. From your responses, it sounds like I do have the freedom to choose my primary position, good! OGE, I'm in the Clinton Valley Council (Southeast MI) and will take the training at D-Bar-A scout camp (Metamora).

#37 buffalo2

buffalo2

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 11:14 AM

Good luck to those of you who are entering into Wood Badge, I found it to be time well spent and useful in many ways that didn't seem obvious early on. A question: not being too familiar with the new WB syllabus, does the training vary depending on one's position in Scouting or am I reading something into the above postings? Acco40: Regarding your ticket, a good suggestion was made on the importance of maintaining a link between your new Troop and your feeder pack. You might also counsel with your new Scoutmaster, Comittee Chair, or other WB-trained Troop leaders to see what their perception of your Troop's needs are. Perspective is what its all about... Enjoy!

#38 dan

dan

• Members
  • 1423 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 09:52 PM

buffalo2 Just finished the 1st weekend of WB, I did not see anything different geared for Cub versus Boy Scouts. The only difference I see at this point is the tickets that you will work on. The topic of singing for lost items did come up! Our Troop leader said that this may happen if you flag is "lost" I got a little obonixous at this point and said I WILL NOT SING FOR A LOST ITEM! This was 2 hours into the 1st day, my patrol had a look on their faces like OH Boy what kind of loose cannon do we have here! The Patrol guide looked at me and said what cant you sing? I stated that I have no problem getting up and singing, but I would never expect a scout to do that it is hasserment! I have a feeling that the staff had a long dicussion about this! Our patrol flag was "lost" while my patrol was taking the flags down after dinner. This was after the patrol guide said that this would not happen. Boy did this cause quite an uproar, But I beleive that the staff handled this very well to explain that this should not happen and why. They did a very good job of changing that tradition in 2 days! They turned a negative into a positive. Foxes are Sly, Tallyho.

#39 dancinfox

dancinfox

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 07:09 AM

Just finished my first weekend as a Troop Guide for the 21st Century Wood Badge. What a great course. As far as your tickets are concerned. One of the five ticket items will be on Diversity (ie: having exchange students come and talk with your troop, den, pack, team, or crew about different cultures. Just a example) We have a full course with scouters from all programs and only heard good things. Don't worry about what the old courses were like. I went to Cub Trainers WB and Boy Scout Leader WB and the new course is unique in it's own way. Leadership is continuing thru out the program and this course covers it well. Enjoy your patrol mates, work your ticket hard and go for the prize, a better program for the youth we serve. In the Wood Badge Spirit Dancin, A good ol Fox too!

#40 ASM7

ASM7

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 10:40 PM

Dan I believe I commented about going into this as a young scout. Our patrol was all guys and I know it doesn't make any difference, but we all were like little kids again and had one of the best experiences that I've had in a long while. Everytime I see one of my patrol members, it's like we are back at Gilwell. Dancing Fox, Did you say five items on the ticket? We had nine! Did the ticket change that much? Doug a good old Bear (Kodiak)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq