Cub Scout-Patrol leader History

Question:

When in cub scout history could cubs be patrol leaders? Or were they den leaders? They used to wear 2 gold bars, just like the boy scouts with green bars? I see them in the old norman rockwells of the 50's.

Anyone know? Why did this position disappear?

VentureScoutNY

My guess is that was what the denner wore. The denner is a Cub Scout, elected by the den members, who helps the den leader with whatever aspects of the den meeting the den leader wants help with. Now they wear a double braided rope device over the shoulder.(This message has been edited by molscouter)

The sew-on bars were replaced by the gold shoulder loops. Denners are now in office as long as Patrol Leaders. I guess there were moms who just didnt want to sew them on and take them off in three months

Just a pet peeve of mine Referring to Webelos Dens as patrols. Yes the they wear Boy Scout patrol patches and pick names like Boy Scout Patrols but they are still to be referred to as den such as Cobra Webelos Den.

Back in England when we had Wolf Cubs.(Pre 1969)The program was closely linked to the Jungle Book.

The entire pack met weekly, the leaders were all given names from the Jungle Book. As there were no meetings other then the pack meeting all the adults other then the Cubmaster were Assistant Cubmaster. The Cubmaster was Akela followed by Baloo so on.

The pack was divided into groups of six. The boy in charge was the Sixer and his second in command was a Seconder.

Boys moved into the troop on or as near as possible to their eleventh birthday. If they had completed the then highest rank in Wolf Cubs the Leading Wolf leaped into the troop.

Eamonn