Cub Scout Training

Our district just ran the new Cub leader specific trainings. Has anyone else been involved in this? We seemed to think there was not enough time or information for Cubmaster, den leader, webelos den leader or committee person. Are we trying to give them too much? I know there is supposed to be supplemental training, but most of the participants said they probably wouldn't go and they felt that more should have been given at this training. We are having some success with roundtable, but most of the leaders say they just don't have the time to go to everything needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been the District Cub Training chair for the past year or so. I have been on training committee for the past 2.5 years. The new leader essentials and cub specific is basically the same material as the old Cub Basic leader Training of last year. Just repackaged a bit.

The difference is this, 90 minutes of every cub leader together and then 3 hour breakouts with cub specific training. My instructors had to add a lot of examples to the class. Nothing wrong with that as long as they understand the BSA policy and how to run a den or pack or pack committee, etc.

hope that helps,

if not email me and I will try again,

Gary Thorn

gthorn@netzero.net

Dan Beard District

Occoneechee council

Raleigh, NC

Pack 201 - Den Leader Coach

District Training Chair Cub Program

As a Scouter who been in training for 15 years, and over 2/3 has been for Cub Scouts, I have seen many changes to the program. The New Leader Essentials and Cub Scout Leader Specific Training are bring to the fore some techniques I have been using in the trainings I have conducted over the years.

I especially applaud the Power Point Presentations. While I know that not everyone will have access to the equipment to present them effectively, those of us who are computer savy appreciate the change. There is a inexpensive device that allows you put the computer display onto a TV, which you will be using for the video tape.

My experience with training is there can never be enough time to cover the topics in the detail the participants would like them covered. This is somewhat covered by the "parking lot issues" part of the training. I have focused on covering the material in the training guide and then treat the extra questions as parking lot issues. I also ensure that the participants know how to get their questions answered thru the Council Service Center, Commissioners and myself.

The time frame of 3 hours is the same as the old training. It up to you as the trainer and your district/council training committee to decide on how to modify the set program of training. Perhaps a Saturday session, extended to 6 hours to allow more discussion. When I first began Cub Scout training, we ran our session in that time frame.

Scott Hemgren

Central Minnesota Council

• 2 months later...

Sorry to be answering so late but I just joined and saw your post. You have terrific district resources to call on. Invite a a member of the Cub Training team or a member of the commissioning team to vist your Pack Committee, or Pack Program committee meeting, for additional training or to just answer questions and share scouting resources.

Rember that New Leader Essentials and Cub leader Job Specific are just BASIC training. There are lots of printed material, people resources and additional training like POW Wows, Roundtable, Wood Badge, Baloo to help you. Don't feel like you need to do it all right now. Plan for it, schedule it, make it part of your units annual planning. Don't forget to select a Pack Trainer and send them to Trainer Development/BSA 500 to learn how to implement training at home in your own unit.

Best of luck for successful scouting!