pinwood derby awards

I would like know how other packs do the award for the pinewood derby.

This year we gave 1-5 fastest

1-3 most colorful

1-3 best them

1-3best paint job

1-3 best design.

How do you feel about making sure everyone gets an award or do you think participation ribbons for those who didn't win are enough.

This year 3 boys who one in the fastest catagory

Also one in some of the other catagories So they ended up with 2 awards while 3 boys just recieved participation.

We give trophies to the top four finishers at our Pinewood derby. The trophies are the same except for the size. First is tallest, fourth is shortest (and first place is about 10").

We also give a trophy for "Coolest Car" as voted on by the Scouts. It's based solely on what each boy determines to be "cool". Second and third place in the cool car voting get ribbons.

Everyone else gets a blue Pinewood derby ribbon.

Overall first place got a trophy. Each den winner got a smaller trophy. Since one of the den winners

ended up overall winner, one boy got two trophies. After check in and weighing, we have the boys set

the cars on a table where they are on display for judges who award each car a certificate: best paint job,

most aerodynamic, best decals, etc. Someone prints these up using a computer, beforehand. Also each

participant gets a segment (patch) that goes on the right pocket of the shirt.

We took pains to explain the rules on how the race would be run at the beginning of the meeting. Also,

you want to have some activities for the boys while the judges are tallying up the results of initial heats

prior to the quarter finals, semi-finals.

in our den we give larger trophies for 1st,2nd, and 3rd place winners and also a trophy for best of show. we have 1st 2nd and 3rd for the cubscouts as well as for the tigercubs. we also give every scout that participates in an event a small trophy to take home instead of a ribbon. i think the boys enjoy the small trophy better than the ribbons.

The Pack I was involved with for 9 years (2 sons - both now Boy Scouts) did things differently. We never awarded trophies or had runoffs. Our Pinewood Derby was a casual free-for-all. Every scout could race as often as he wanted. Because most scouts made new cars each year, they would bring their old cars for brothers and sisters and friends to race. I often worked the repair station, replacing wheels, adding weights and adding graphite to axles. Every scout had a good time, and it seemed that each scout would announce to me as I fixed their cars or lubed them up that they had won 2 out of 3 races at a minimum. With a 3-lane track, this was obviously not possible. But each scout would have his own definition of winning. If his car was ahead before it flew off the track, he felt he was the winner. This allowed for several "winners" each race. Since I remember my Cub Scout days at Pinewood Derby as "lose one race and sit" with the scouts whose dads made the best cars being the winners, I truly think our Pack's approach was the correct one for us. No scouts won a trophy, but they all had a great time.