Medicine Mountain Boy Scout Camp

I've never been there, but my sons troop went there the summer before we joined, really enjoyed it, and still talk about being one of the very best.

The only complaint they had about it was the walk to pick up food from the commissary. It was apparently a long walk ... up hill both ways, etc.

Overall, the response from all was very positive.

Scouter

• 7 months later...

I am very familiar with Medicine Mountain Scout Ranch. It is a campground, nothing more. If you are looking for an inexpensive place to camp for a week while you tour the Black Hills it is your place. If you are looking for a high quality summer camp program, then keep looking. The camp in Eastern South Dakota (Lewis & Clark) has an incredible program, it just doesn't have the Black Hills.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't personally spend a summer at Medicine Mountain but I knew quite a few guys who did. I grew up in SD and did most of my youth scouting there.

Medicine Mountain is pretty primitive in the summer camp program department. THe scenrey is great but the camp program could use some help.

Like the poster before me noted a better choice would be Lewis and Clark. I've spent 2 summers there. The bluffs around the lake are beuatiful. If you can handle some serious up and down hills its a great camp. The program is very well run when i was there a few years back.

Where is your troop based?

There aren't many choices for camps in the uppermidwest. My only othe recomendation would be Many Point in Norhtern MN but thats a HUGE camp well run but it would fall into the Mega-Camp category. Personally i like how the Sioux council runs their camp L&C.

• 3 months later...

Our troop just got back from Medicine Mountain. Very poor reviews from us leaders and the scouts. Our troop was there 4 yrs. ago and really enjoyed it, not so this time. They were severely under staffed, the meals were terrible,(we were even shorted on food) there were merit badges that were offered in their guide as complete but were not. We had a medical emergency(cut finger) and there were no steri strips or durabond to be found on the premises. We had a director who literally told us she didn't care. Merit badges were signed off without doing the proper requirements.(due to short staff) The waterfront was very poorly ran, kids in canoes and boats that had not even passed the swimming test. The director was rude and worried more about a visiting adult leader than she was the boys. The best thing for the boys the whole trip was being able to retire the flags at Mt. Rushmore. The camp is very run down, and some of the staff said they have no money to keep it up. For about $200 per boy we expected a little more. They say the camp is nationally recognized, I can't imagine how. Someone from Black Hills Council will be getting a complaint from us.

Our council(Mid America) runs a quality summer camp program. It is held at Camp Cedars in Fremont, Nebraska. Come check it out--you won't go away disappointed. The kids have a great time and they learn while they are at it.

• 5 months later...

Being from the Black Hills Council, it is never nice to see a negative post about your Council's Camp.

I was there in June for Cub Scout Resident Camp and it was 100 % better than the year before. Since my oldest son went to National Jamboree, he didn't go with his troop. We were there the Summer before (2004) and it was not as good as I had hoped.

Medicine Mountain is a primitative camp. Like many camps, probably better toward the beginning of the Summer.

We use Medicine Mountain year around and will be there the weekend of the 20th -22nd of January for Klondike.

I hope that specific complaints were made to the Council about Medicine Mountain Camp, so that steps can be made to improve it. I know there was a problem with staff a couple of years ago, and when they cleaned house, made it difficult to get new staff members in for a bit.

Our problem wasn't so much with the counselors as it was with the director. Most of the staff was very apologetic for the circumstances we ran into at the camp. The issue was mostly the director. She was rude and hardly ever willing to help. As I said before she told us flat out at the first leader meeting that she really didn't care. A majority of her staff was afraid of her. Maybe it is better in the beginning of summer but, they still should have supplies available to do the merit badges listed. Like I said before 4 yrs. ago the boys really enjoyed it this is why we decided to take the trip again. We were told the old director passed away. It has really went down hill since then. We have a few troops in our district that were considering attending this year and have since changed their minds. I hope that they get things going better this year. It is such a beautiful area and could be such a wonderful experience for many boys. I know that we weren't the only troop upset that week. There were also a couple of troops from Colorado and Kansas that had a terrible experience also. Live and learn I guess.

The former camp director was killed in a tragic car accident on or about December 2, 2004. His name was Kip. A drunk driver crossed the medium on the Interstate and hit him head on. The drunk was in a vehicle that had a snow blade on it. Kip died instantly, the drunk walked away. The drunk got 15 years, the max on the charge. Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts and Venture Crews lost a wonderful leader. You can see how that lost has effected our Council. The Camp was a great place to go, now it has a director that has evidently left a bad impression in several troops from other districts, which hurts the camp and the ability to obtain good staff. If you already sent a complaint to the district, then I hope they act up on it. If you haven't please let me know some specific complaints and incidents and I can take them to the appropriate people.

I believe that Medicine Mountain is a great pristine camp. That it works well for troops that want to camp and cook the patrol method.

• 1 month later...

I have been to Medicine Mountain in the Summer of 2005 and have been in scouting for more years than I care to count. I have been to summer camps all over, I do believe that there maybe some missplaced feelings regarding this Scout Camp. I was not completely pleased with the total experience but when I compare it to the summer camps I have been to over the years I would rate it at least in the top percentages. Not because they had the best program, or food, or facilities. But because the staff realy did try and help when problems arose. I don't know If I was there with the same program director as everyone else, but she was helpful when we had a few problems and I was sure she realy did care about how the week went for the leaders as well as our Scouts. Now I had an older troop last year, and they could pretty well take care of themselves. So our problems were minor, and were very typical to every summer camp I have ever attended. They were under staffed but that was due to the Jamboree taking a large number of their staff. I thought they did very well with the remainders. All of my Scouts earned all of the awards that they signed up for and a few extra in some cases. None of my troop went hungry during the week and we ussually had a little food left over. The quality of the food depends upon the quality of your troop cook and how creative they are. The facilities are rustic but it is Scout summer camp. I think folks are being a little harsh towards the camp "in the face of adversity comes true inner strength"! Medecine Mountain Scout camp provided our Troop with lasting memories, and a quality Scouting program in the true sprit of Scouting. We traveled some 1500 miles to attend the 2005 camp and if my older scouts were not going to Philmont this year it would be in consideration for a repeat in 2006.

Sincerely,

Old Red

of

Arkansas

• 3 months later...

Our Troop from Colorado attended Medicine Mountain Scout Camp the week of June 19th. We had 20 scouts and 8 Leaders. We had attended this camp 4 years ago and we were very impressed with the camp. Of the 5 camps we have attended over the past 7 years in Colorado and Wyoming, this is still our favorite camp. We were very pleased with the camps program director. She has done a great job in restoring the great programs and activities which we understand were lacking the previous few years. The camp scout staff was also very helpful and personable. Our scouts all had a great time, despite three large thunderstorms and further rain during the week. The facilities are somewhat primative but that is what we really enjoyed about this camp. Finally someone is concentrating on program, not luxury!! Our scouts earned (and worked for these merit badges) over 60 merit badges. Also, our older scouts enjoyed COPE and caving. The camp Director has instituted a leader participation program which, for those of us who participated, assisted the camp staff in teaching merit badges. This allowed us to meet other scouts, leaders, and become more familer with our own scouts. We also know that the local district and camp are suffering from past over-expenditures. However, we took this as a challenge to use the scouting spirit to assist them however we could. I would encourage all scouts and scouters to support this camp by attending a summer camp session and providing chearful service. You will not be disappointed. If you are, please respond to this message and I will personally respond to your issues.

This camp does offer the opportunity to tour the Black Hills, too. While most things in "tourist trap" areas are expensive, there are lower cost ideas there, too. At Crazy Horse Monument, any Scout troop who shows up in uniform is admitted FREE (Nice lighting ceremony, too). At Mt. Rushmore, there is no charge, unless you want to park close -- then you pay $8 for parking. There are many displays and the night lighting ceremony is tremendous! Uniformed Troops often raise & lower the flag for the ceremony. Other lower cost areas are Wind Cave, Needles Park, Evans Plunge, Mammoth Site in Hot Springs. There are numerous caves to visit -- 2 of the other very popular ones are Jewel Cave & Rushmore Cave. If you are lucky and eat at a little park on the way to Rushmore Cave, this neat man with an awesome rock collection may come out & visit! Reptile Gardens, Bear Country, and Cosmos are some of our troop's favorites, too, but a little more expensive. If you want to go to the Black Hills & just tour, send me a pm & I can give you the number for an awesome camp -- Camp Volunteer -- run by a Baptist Church. They allow groups to reserve & use it -- cabins, showers, kitchen, meeting room. They especially like it if you do some service work while there.

• 4 months later...

I was on staff at Medicine Mountian the past four summers. I will be the first to admit that the summer everyone has been complaining (the summer of '05) was not the best summer. However the summer of '06 was amazing. The staff made it their mission to do far better than the '05 summer. We had more staff and had re-written the program to ajust to our needs. The "director" that everyone above me did not get along with is no longer working at the camp and the "problem staff" were not hired back. The staff and the program were the best I have ever had the honor to be a part of. I sincerely hope that those who came in '05 will consider giving the camp another chance. If the '07 year is half as good as the '06 year then it will be worth every cent to go to Medicine Mountian.

• 1 year later...

Hello

I am Med Man and I have been on staff at the

Medicine Mountain Boy Scout Ranch in the years of

1998, Part of 1999. Then in 2004,2005,2006,2007.

and will be on staff for 2008.

I am the Emergency Services Dir. for the camp/Ranch. I enjoy working at the Ranch I have over 20 years working in the Health Care area

I began as a Nurse Aid when I was in High School then in college I became a EMT I'm going on my 15th year as a EMT and will have 10 years as a Vol. firefighter in Dec. of 2008.

I'm certifed as an instructor for EMS,Fire/Rescue,and CPR. I enjoy teaching the scouts the Life Saveing Skills of First-Aid.

I do run a "Old School" way of class this is a Merit Badge that the skills learend in the class may just someday save a life.

I want scouts and leaders to know that Medicine Mountain Scout Ranch is in a small council and it works hard to have a fun camp for scouts to go to I grew up in a very large council

(Chief Seattle) were there are 2 summer camps I went to and they are nice camps.

Medicine Mountain is a nice camp and has made many improvments over the last few years and has added new programs for the older Scouts.

I wish we had a dinning hall but I think some of the troops like that we are a rustic camp and that they have to cook for them selfs as for food it is camp and not every one will like the food. Last year the Council has had a change of full time year round staff and I fill camp was much more fun then 2005 and 2006. The summer of 2007 was a good year with a good staff even as much as we were short on staff. I look forward to the 2008 summer camp.

As for the Health Lodge it is in a new place

as of 2006 it is next to the tradeing post and it is under work I try to keep it clean and well

stocked there was a commit (We had a medical emergency(cut finger) and there were no steri strips or durabond to be found on the premises)

I'm sorry this upset this troop but that is true

That type of thing is done by a MD. Not a EMT

that is do to a MD would like to see the cut and if needed do a much cleaner job of washing the cut out and in a cleaner area, If the scout needs steristrips the MD. may want to stitch it as for the scout is at camp and the steristrips will not last long at camp with stitches the scout can wash that area easer then with steristrips when wet they come off.

I do my best and I have great MD's in the area that back me up and help me when needed and Custer and Hill City Ambulance has great crews should I need them or Life flight.

The Camp is growing and all in all I fill that all the staff at the camp try hard to make your stay at the camp a happy one.

So I hope you will give Medicine Mountian Scout Ranch a try Please call befor you come to camp as for yes at times a misprint may have been done in the things mailed to your troop or on line. From time to time a class time maybe changed or things change for the Meritbadge and the Meritbage book has not been updated this is true for First-Aid as First-Aid is one of things that are always changing for the better (CPR is

now changed and bleeding care has changed)

So again Call the camp and ask your qustions

so you will know befor you get to camp.

Oh I may add that a troop should bring there own

Merit Badge Books as for it seems as we run out of them and hard to order them at times.

All in ALL I feel Medicine Mountain offers a great program for Scouts of all ages and has a lot to offer a scout for a small camp in a small

Council this camp/ranch has a lot to offer and is just as nice as the big camps I went to as a boy in the Chief Seattle Council. Hope to see you at camp May God Bless and happy scouting to you all.

MMSR

"MED-Man"

Hello

I am Med Man and I have been on staff at the

Medicine Mountain Boy Scout Ranch in the years of

1998, Part of 1999. Then in 2004,2005,2006,2007.

and will be on staff for 2008.

I am the Emergency Services Dir. for the camp/Ranch. I enjoy working at the Ranch I have over 20 years working in the Health Care area

I began as a Nurse Aid when I was in High School then in college I became a EMT I'm going on my 15th year as a EMT and will have 10 years as a Vol. firefighter in Dec. of 2008.

I'm certifed as an instructor for EMS,Fire/Rescue,and CPR. I enjoy teaching the scouts the Life Saveing Skills of First-Aid.

I do run a "Old School" way of class this is a Merit Badge that the skills learend in the class may just someday save a life.

I want scouts and leaders to know that Medicine Mountain Scout Ranch is in a small council and it works hard to have a fun camp for scouts to go to I grew up in a very large council

(Chief Seattle) were there are 2 summer camps I went to and they are nice camps.

Medicine Mountain is a nice camp and has made many improvments over the last few years and has added new programs for the older Scouts.

I wish we had a dinning hall but I think some of the troops like that we are a rustic camp and that they have to cook for them selfs as for food it is camp and not every one will like the food. Last year the Council has had a change of full time year round staff and I fill camp was much more fun then 2005 and 2006. The summer of 2007 was a good year with a good staff even as much as we were short on staff. I look forward to the 2008 summer camp.

As for the Health Lodge it is in a new place

as of 2006 it is next to the tradeing post and it is under work I try to keep it clean and well

stocked there was a commit (We had a medical emergency(cut finger) and there were no steri strips or durabond to be found on the premises)

I'm sorry this upset this troop but that is true

That type of thing is done by a MD. Not a EMT

that is do to a MD would like to see the cut and if needed do a much cleaner job of washing the cut out and in a cleaner area, If the scout needs steristrips the MD. may want to stitch it as for the scout is at camp and the steristrips will not last long at camp with stitches the scout can wash that area easer then with steristrips when wet they come off.

I do my best and I have great MD's in the area that back me up and help me when needed and Custer and Hill City Ambulance has great crews should I need them or Life flight.

The Camp is growing and all in all I fill that all the staff at the camp try hard to make your stay at the camp a happy one.

So I hope you will give Medicine Mountian Scout Ranch a try Please call befor you come to camp as for yes at times a misprint may have been done in the things mailed to your troop or on line. From time to time a class time maybe changed or things change for the Meritbadge and the Meritbage book has not been updated this is true for First-Aid as First-Aid is one of things that are always changing for the better (CPR is

now changed and bleeding care has changed)

So again Call the camp and ask your qustions

so you will know befor you get to camp.

Oh I may add that a troop should bring there own

Merit Badge Books as for it seems as we run out of them and hard to order them at times.

All in ALL I feel Medicine Mountain offers a great program for Scouts of all ages and has a lot to offer a scout for a small camp in a small

Council this camp/ranch has a lot to offer and is just as nice as the big camps I went to as a boy in the Chief Seattle Council. Hope to see you at camp May God Bless and happy scouting to you all.

MMSR

"MED-Man"

• 5 weeks later...

My Troop and I just returned from Medicine Mountain (June 14-21, 2008) and thoroughly enjoyed this camp. This was the first week of the summer, so yes there were some minor issues (communication, schedules, etc) but I think you will find that at most camps on the first week. The Camp Director, Program Director, and Commissioners were all very responsive to any needs and were also very good at their jobs. The rest of the staff were knowledgeable and were truly enjoyed by my kids. Despite getting hailed on 4 of the days we were there, the boys still thought this was the BEST camp they had been to. They all commented on how good the food was, how much fun they had, and how great it was to be in such a remote area. I hope people aren't judging this camp based on comments from years ago. I researched this camp before we went and read the comments but decided to check it out myself and am certainly glad that I did. We will be returning in the future. If you decide to skip this camp because of comments from past years, you will be missing out on one heck of a camp.