Family night food

Another post talks about the DE being upset about watermelon for the troop on family night. Wow! My son's troop will have family night on the Friday of the week of summer camp. The camp encourages the families to bring supper that night. I will be going, staying the night and bringing boys home on Saturday.

Been trying to think of something to surprise the boys with on Friday. They will be able to buy sodas and some junk food all week at the camp store.

Watermelon sounds good. Also read where someone took the troop popsicles. Any other ideas?

This might be a good time to try popcorn over coals. Baked apples as a treat. Watermelon or even bald cupcakes (bald without frosting). Whatever you decide, don't let anyone say that it is inappropriate to have a special troop treat. My last troop, it was tradition to have oreos and milk on the first night's cracker barrel. Speaking of cracker barrel, how about one of those?

I have never heard of a camp that criticizes a troop for bringing their own special treats. In fact, we forego the regular dinner one night and make deep dish dutch oven pizzas from scratch for our own troop's dinner. We surely don't want to feed the wholoe camp!

For family night, we have had chicken brought in, pizza, etc. We always ask the parents to bring a salad, side or dessert. This year we are deep frying 2 17 lb turkeys!

On Friday, we usually cook our own pizzas in box ovens. We usually invite another Troop & some staff members to join us.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1