Tips needed for first camp-out with tenderfoot scouts

We are planning on a campout to satisfy the rank requirements for our sons who are Lone Scouts. It's possible that we'll have a troop by the time we actually go camping.

We have never really been so defined about our camping areas - we just did what worked at the time. We want to camp the BSA way because I'm sure it's much better camping than we have done. Does anyone have any tips or sure-fire things to do or not do?

There needs to be dishwashing area, a kitchen area (near the fire, I assume), latrine, dining fly, tent area and what else? I read something about an entry into the site. Also a flagpole area. Am I forgetting anything? And how do you go about splitting those responsibilities up among a bunch of new scouts?

I read in the 1969 Fieldbook that if you attach 8 20 foot long ropes that will make a 50 foot circle, which is appropriate for one patrol. Is this still the reccomended area needed?

I especially want everyone (if we have a troop) to have a lot of fun so that they will be enticed to keep coming. If we do get a troop started (recruiting meeting on the 5th), we'll do First Aid the first month and Camping the next. I know safety is the best way to ensure that everyone has fun. Also some of the Dads are paramedics, so we might have a paramedic along at the campout.

We will probably camp on our own land, if that matters. It's pretty rural and isolated.

Thanks,

Marcy

Marcy, in planning your first campout, place an emphasis on one word you used: FUN. Make sure that both the scouts and adults have fun, and they will come back for more. Be sure to plan a program to keep everyone busy, but not overwhelmed. The campout is a good time to work on rank advancement, and also merit badge requirements. Also put in times for games and also unplanned free time. A campfire at night will add a lot to the experience.

You referred to a 1969 Fieldbook that you have. Although I am not familiar with it, I can guess that much of what is in it is outdated. Boy Scouts now follows the Leave No Trace philosophy, which was not what was followed in 1969. Your Fieldbook probably refers to such things as trenching around tents, something which is not done under LNT. The Boy Scouts has materials on Leave No Trace camping, and I urge you to review this literature in your planning.

Under the LNT philosophy, many of the things you talked about are unnecessary and not recommended. Entryways, flagpoles, latrines, etc. are best suited to established campsites. If you intend to revisit the site often and establish it as a regular site, since it is your own property, then these items can be developed. If your intent is a one-time visit, less impact is better, and the Leave No Trace materials will serve as a good starting place.

Marcy,

Bob Russell is right. I notice that you referred to a 1969 publication in another thread. Much of that information is obsolete. Camping techniques and camping equipment have evolved greatly since 1969.

The idea of staking out an area for a patrol is relevant at large events such as a camporee where scouts from many troops come together. For routine camping, it is more important that the camp be sited properly with respect to pollutable bodies of water, and that each tent be sited so that the occupants are not on low ground. A few inches can make all the difference when it rains.

A lot of the early scouting skills were based on military practice of 100 years ago. Even in the 60s I remember one training exercise in the army where we dressed our pup tents in rows. Looks great, but this is not typical camping.

You are correct about separating food preparation, cleanup, and sleeping areas. If I recall correctly you said you do not have bears where you live, but there are plenty of critters who can still raise havoc in your camp site if food is not properly secured. Be sure to leave all food out of tents. I am told that skunks are particulary attracted to chocolate.

Now here is a suggestion. The very first time I went on an outing as a boy scout we cooked over an open fire on a sand bar by the Missouri River. We cut sticks to do shish ke babs and stick bread made with bisquick.

Another great way to introduce boys to outdoor cooking is foil cooking over a bed of coals. You can also take two pans and make them into a dutch oven to shove into your coals and bake things that way. Now these are things you will not do in back packing, but it is a great way to start out with new kids. They get to fix their own food and enjoy the results.

If you cut sticks on your own ranch to use in cooking make sure that the plants selected are not toxic. Oleander is an example of a poisonous plant. No itching like poison ivy, just death when eaten. You should lick the point you make on any stick so selected to see if it has an unpleasant taste that the food might pick up.

You may also want to get the Scoutmaster's handbook if you don't already have it. It has plans for about 3 or 4 months for a new troop, details of what to cover in each meeting and in what order so the boys are doing outdoor activities pretty quickly but well prepared -- and the boys have planned it.

I have a current copy of the fieldbook and even it is outdated. I can't remember the originally publication date and don't have it at my fingertips. It has some good information but do realize that programs like Leave No Trace have made changes and newer types of equipment are not covered.