Hi all,

Just some thoughts on what a scout should carry afield.

My boys are still in Cubs, and the oldest starts WEBELOS in the fall. They have yet to be involved with 'organized' camping, but we do quite a bit as a family.

After one anxious incident of separation on a trail, my wife and I decided that there we some important tools that the boys should have on them at all times.

So I did some research and put together a small kit that fits into a 4"x6" zippered bag.

1. Whistle

2. Rain poncho

3. Signal mirror

4. Waterproof matches

5. Tinder in match case

6. Swiss Army knife

7. Hard candies

8. Micro light

9. Sunscreen in a chapstick style tube

10. Flavor packet from ramen noodle soup

This kit fits nicely in a small fanny-pak along with a bright bandana and whatever other useful items they can find to put in it.

They also carry a day pack with a heavy sweater, spare socks, and at least a liter of fresh water.

Anyway, just wondering if you guys/gals have any requirements along these lines for scouting outings or any suggestions to improve on what I have so far.

I'm just starting as the WEBELOS Leader (unoffical assistant for 3 years, Tiger leader for one of those) and really looking forward to next fews years of this.

For a pure compact emergency kit, I would also consider a "space blanket." This kind of kit is probably more appropriate for day hikes, day trips on rivers, and things like that. A backpacker is already supposed to have this stuff available. I also always carry some toilet paper. The very first outing in which I participated as adult leader was a Webelos day hike. One kid got diarrhea, and we were not prepared.