Our troop recently had a first year scout campout, the other scouts went to a different place and had a back packing trip while the new scouts worked on advancement. During the day I made a lot of "bets" that I would be able to start the evenings campfire using only flint and steel. None of the kids or fathers thought I could pull it off.

My "flint and steel" kit is comprised of a very small block of wood which I scored down the center with a hacksaw blade. Then I drilled 5 holes just wide enough to hold 5 cigarette lighter flints in the scored section. When you draw a bit of hacksaw blade down the score line, you will get a shower of sparks like you have never seen before.

FOr added effect I took some 000 steel wool and fluffed it up a bit and threw the sparks on it. It ignited and I put the flaming steel wool in my fire.

It was truly a fire started with flint and steel.

Does anyone else have a trick fire starter? Either remote ot "matchless'?

As a Hunter Education volunteer instructor/coordinator, (what else would a scouter do in his "spare" time), I have a number of "matchless" ways of starting a fire, without liquid fuels.

Most use a method of sparking such as a knive to a flint, flint and steel, knive to back of high carbon knife. I also especially like "out of fuel" cigarette lighters. Anything that will throw some sparks.

the following are items that will work well - some faster than others.

1) magnesium stick - fastest of all, burns the hottest. Make a small pile of magnesium shavings (about 2 inches in my experience) with other tinder around, and kindling close by. Spark into the pile, and carefully start feeding the fire.

2) Cotton balls - Real cotton, no synthetics. Spread out like a nest (I have included a small amount of candle shavings to help it some). A spark in the center of the nest should have a good fire very quickly. Add tinder and kindling.

3) 4-0 Steel wool (0000) - Same as cotton balls, but do not add wax. Can also be started with a 9 volt battery.

4) Char cloth (charred cotton) with flint and steel. This is the mountain man method. Much more work, however very satisfying. Make a "nest" of VERY dry grasses, on other tinder and kindling. Spark into the char cloth with the flint and steel until there is a "glow" from a spark in the cloth. Blow on this (cupped in your hands) until the grass starts to burn, then place in prepared firepit, and add kindling.

The old "fire saw" uses esentially the same method, and takes more experience.

Paul Johnson

Lander, WY

I agree, the magnesium blocks work very well. They can be purchased at sporting goods stores, many times with a flint imbedded right in them. They cost about $6.00 or less. Even the Boy Scout flint and steel sets will work as sparkers.

Another source of fire starters would be dryer lint with a bit of petroleum jelly on it. Keep it in a baggie or film canister. The lint will burn a long time with the petroleum jelly on it, giving the person starting the fire plenty of time to get the kindling lit, perhaps as long as twenty minutes.

We utilize this method as an emergency fire starter and the Scouts enjoy the challenge. They've gotten pretty good at it.

a 9v battery and 00 steel wool makes a good fire starter. pull off a large chunk of steelwool and place against both posts of the 9v battery and the short circuit will start the steelwool to glowing. store in separte zip lock bags. This works well in wet weather.