New Blister Treatment

Most scouts don't know what a blister feels like when it is forming. So a lot of us ended up with blisters before we knew what happened. Moleskin and molefoam work reasonably well to treat blisters as long as they are used as intended. But most scouts simply cover the blister with moleskin, rendering moleskin useless and the blister gets worse. What I use and swear by is called Second Skin.

Second Skin blister and burn dressing can be used directly over the blister. What it is is a jelly like substance that is very soft and slippery. This stuff works wonders! The big thing to remember is that you MUST tape it on all sides to get it to stay in place. If you don't it will literally squirt out of place.

Versions are made by Johnson and Johnson, and Spenco. I have found it at Wal-Mart and Walgreens.

The better part of valor is to avoid blisters in the first place, as I am sure you would agree. The key is properly fitting boots, and proper combinations of liners and woolen socks.

An older, messier, cheaper, but equally effective way to avoid blisters is to smear the soles of one's feet with vaseline before the hike. I would not recommend this for backpacking, but if you taking a day hike with Webelos or younger scouts who may not be properly equipped, it is worth a try. It really works, and it sure beats bloody feet. I heard about this from an ex marine.

Oh I definately agree, just letting you guys know of another alternative.

BTW- Some folks get blisters from sweaty feet. Another solution is to spray your feet with anti-persperant. It does help, I have tried it. (well it helped me anyway)

Vaseline works better (for me) to ease chafing. Never used it for blister prevention.

• 2 months later...

Foot powder in small doses is good. But too heavy of an application will cause the powder to cake and then rub your feet raw. If you hike a trail that sees a lot of water (over the boot high) this will be a huge problem.

Foot powder is good to keep down moisture and should be in everyones gear kit but it is not an adequate treatment for blisters. If a Scout lets a blister get too far and uses foot powder and the powder gets in the wound it will most likely get infected.

I agree with Mike that it would be a mistake to expect powder to prevent blisters, and powder may make things worse. Foot powder is designed to prevent and/or treat certain types of fungus problems, not blisters.