when I was a scout i remember going on campouts. I also remember the scoutmaster telling us repeatedly to soup the outside of our pans. Let me tell you if you want to keep the grime off those pans soup them.

Hi,

Back in the 60's and 70's as a young Scout and even now when we cook over a campfire in the back yard I use the soap trick. A thin coating of dish soap makes it much easier to remove the soot. One word of caution. It is very easy to get soap inside the pot or pan. After a couple of soapy meals I was willing to scrub the top 1/2 inch or so if it meant the food tasted better.

There is only one non-castiron item I will not use this on. For some reason the coffee tastes better out of my old soot covered metal coffee pot.

Have fun and enjoy.

Mike Nicholson

Starting again with Cub Scouts

The Soap trick works great, but here is some food for thought.

If you have a high adventure program that includes long distance hiking (50 milers+) You should leave the soot on the pot. The reason why is that the soot helps to trap heat. The end result is that your pot heats up quickly and stays hot longer due to trapped heat thus reducing cooking time. The bottom line is that you will use less fuel. This is a huge help if you are using backpacking stoves but no big deal if you are using campfires. The only bummer is you now have a dirty sooty pot to stuff in your pack, thank god for stuff sacks!

• 2 weeks later...

The heat retention benefits of a black bottom can also be obtained by painting the bottoms of pots and skillets black. Rustoleum makes a spray paint product for patching up paint jobs on barbecues. This paint will not burn off, but it will rub off. It certainly is less messy than soot. It does appear to work in making the heating process more efficient. If you are on a multiple day trek, that might mean one less fuel canister.