New "Wood Badge" regalia / patches???

SeattleP, that might be what you need to do. I am holding a Training weekend in April, IOLS, BALLO and OLWS. Only a few people have offered to come. I have only received one application. And no one from Council or district will be there that I know of for sure. I may be doing ti all alone. I have posted it on out Council FB site. Got people telling me they can't make it. but no one saying they will make it.. So I understand. I think that if I was offering a knot, t-shirt or a patch, maybe people would come???

• 2 years later...

Thank you for the kind welcome, Sentinel! I realized at the time of posting I was jumping into a very old conversation that I wasn't involved in, however, Wood Badge was a life-changing experience for me. If some other person, whom just happens upon this thread and is "on the fence," about attending Wood Badge were to read that it "promotes stagnation and elitism," well, they may just decide not to attend. In the end, I feel the boys would suffer by not having a better trained leader. After all, aren't the boys what scouting is all about? I further understand that everyone has their own opinion, as misguided as it may be, but to make a blanket statement such as the one I am railing against is just plain wrong. Again, thank you for the welcome, and thank you for your time, by giving of yourself to help mentor and teach children.

Welcome BeverBean, don't let those on the forum sway what's working for you. Listen carefully, review your situation and maybe glean a bit of wisdom here and there to help you with your program.

I on the other hand didn't have any earth shattering revelation from WB. I had been working with youth for a long time before WB. I also took the program under the old curriculum (1993). So with that being said, even the ranks of the WB participants are segregated. Those that are pre-2000 and those that took the "good stuff".

At least they never bother me about teaching WB in the council, which suits me just fine. However, they do repeatedly ask me to come in and do various seminars on bits and pieces, but never to be on staff because I'd have to take WB 2000 again in order to do that as if the old program wasn't any good. Most of the time that's a good thing. :)

Again welcome and I'm glad you had a good experience with WB.

Stosh

Welcome Fellow Beaver S6-558-14

I like you BeaverBean really enjoyed mine as well. Here is my theory, People that have been in the program for MULTIPLE years get much less out of it than those who havent been in the program very long.

I am been in scouting ONLY 4 years but in those 4 years I have assisted in changing our pack and troop and putting it on a better road.

The "old program." We are on the third version now. You cannot imagine the outrage when the second version replaced the "old program." End of the world. And, really, that was the big change - over forty years ago.

Of the three, I liked version 2 the best - less abstract than version 3.

In our neck of the woods Wood Badge quite often takes on the appearance of a cult. WBers wear all means of regalia from the CSP, the beads and necker with woggle, and the WB circle around the World Crest. Their walking sticks are festooned with their former patrol identification and even statues at the door of their tents. Every conversation is rooted in WB. It has been enough to convince me it is not an activity I wish to participate in.

Take the course and learn the lessons. Bring the new knowledge back to your unit and allow your example be the indicator of why others should take the training. If it is truly for the boys then leave all your paraphernalia behind and simply share the wealth.

Woodbadge in My Council...Pompous Elitist..Course way Over priced...And Mandatory in order to Volunteer for anything

I wish it was that easy to get out of volunteering for stuff. :)

I was old WB trained so they quit asking me for help, too. It's kinda nice, I can focus more on my boys that way.

For months the district commissioner kept asking me to do all kinds of stuff when I was a UC myself. I just smiled nicely and didn't say anything. Finally she asked if she could be my ASM, because of my boy-led, patrol-method emphasis. I said sure, no problem. Finally she asked me "confidentially" why I kept turning all the invites down and I said it was because I was old-school WB. She said, "Oh..." And the subject has never been brought up again. :)

Stosh