Eagle Mentor Pin on Scout Uniform

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 thriftyscout

thriftyscout

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:18 PM

I just received what I consider to be my highest award to date as a Scoutmaster, an Eagle Mentor Pin. Is there a proper way to wear this on a Scout uniform?

#2 BDPT00

BDPT00

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:30 PM

It would probably be nice if there were, but no. It's for civilian wear. Congratulations. BDPT00

#3 Oak Tree

Oak Tree

• Members
  • 2207 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:07 PM

The most common place I've seen it worn is on the collar point. It is not officially correct, but it's not that unusual to see.

#4 Twocubdad

Twocubdad

• Members
  • 4462 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:08 PM

How do you wear it on your uniform? Proudly.

#5 Stosh

Stosh

• Members
  • 12466 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:38 PM

I have mine pinned to the collar of my jac-shirt. Stosh

#6 red feather

red feather

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:45 PM

Mine are on the left pocket flap, left side. The Eagles who presented them to me thanked me for wearing them as they are they ones who pinned them on, the wearing was important to them (and me). I do know which one belongs to which Eagle. yis red feather

#7 desertrat77

desertrat77

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:04 AM

Please wear it with pride, on your uniform. As stated above, left pocket flap is the usual place.

#8 Eagle1973

Eagle1973

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:13 AM

I wear the father's pin on my left flap. The SM of our troop wears two father pins and several mentor pins. Wear it!

#9 moosetracker

moosetracker

• Members
  • 3587 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:41 AM

BDPT00 - is correct with what he says they are not for the uniform. But, my husband & I follow what others say.. I put mine on my left pocket. He puts his on the left collar.. He definately has many more then me, having been advancement coordinator for our troop. My scout jobs did not have me working directly with the kids, but our whole family was a scouting family to one boy as his family wasn't involved (he gave a pin to everyone in my family, including my son).. There was one other scout I also became close to and helped guide who gave me & my husband a pin. I do believe they are the top honor an adult leader can receive..

#10 skeptic

skeptic

• Members
  • 1942 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:35 AM

While I have always, since the onset of the pin, encouraged my Eagles to give the pin to someone other than myself, explaining that surely there were adults who pushed, prodded, and inspired them to make the final effort, I do have one. And, it is worn proudly on my left pocket flap. Not in line with the guide (soon being left behind); so be it.

#11 John-in-KC

John-in-KC

Moderator and nice guy

• Moderators
  • 6825 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:51 AM

I wear my Eagle Dad pin on my WB name leather, and I took that idea from a Council Commissioner who did the same ... for his kids and the kids he mentored.

#12 SR540Beaver

SR540Beaver

Moderator and all around good guy

• Moderators
  • 4255 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:52 PM

I wasn't lucky enough to get a mentor's pin, but I do have a dad's pin and it is on my left pocket flap.

#13 acco40

acco40

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3826 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:46 PM

Just curious to those who know it is not supposed to go on the uniform but wear it anyway, what is your "litmus test" in deciding what regulation to follow and which was to ignore? I wear mine right next to to my Eagle "dad" pins - on my suit coat.

#14 Eagle707

Eagle707

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:03 PM

Congratulations to thriftyscout! I'm with acco40 on this one. What is the rationale for following some parts of the IG while ignoring others? What example are we setting when we ignore the rules to show off a recognition? To me, it looks like we're suggesting that Eagle Scout mentors are allowed to bend the rules. Parent pins (and the like) should stay off the uniform: an Eagle parent/mentor pin is no more permissible on the uniform than a Tenderfoot parent pin.

#15 moosetracker

moosetracker

• Members
  • 3587 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:22 PM

My Rationale.. I have never been in the military.. I am not any way shape or form a uniform police.. And although it is the only thing I (think) I don't follow.. I could have gone for a number of knots by now, I have no intrest in the knots.. Since to me it is the highest honor, I will wear mine with pride, because it is insane not to.. It is like giving you your general stipes and telling you you have to wear them on your t-shirt at home.. Who on earth in my civilian life would know what they are and care a whit about them?? I just think that someone missed the mark on this call.. And as I have said, I am not a military perfectionist..

#16 desertrat77

desertrat77

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:15 PM

As a proponent of wearing the pin on the uniform, and being a career military guy (25+ AF), I'll tackle this one. To keep a potential screed to minimum, I'm all for proper uniforming. I've proudly worn my military uniform for many years now. And privately, I disagree with some of the rules, but I've got to set the example. So I do, without grousing (except amongst a few close friends). However, BSA uniforming is not now, nor will it ever be, on par with the requirements of military uniforming. The scout uniform is bought and worn by volunteers. The uniform guide is an administrative pamphlet written by well meaning people in Dallas TX. From my research, violations of BSA uniforming policy are not punishable. So, to those who say "what rules do you pick to violate" and "it's a slippery slope" here is my response: use common sense. Does the violation bring discredit upon the BSA? If so, don't do it. If not, it's administrative violation and who gives a flip. I sure don't. In closing, a few thoughts about "uniform police." I have found that uniform zealots, both military and BSA, tend to lose sight of what the uniform is actually designed to achieve. The uniform is a means to an end, not the end. I have no problem with the strictness of military uniforming. But off duty, in a volunteer organization like the BSA, if a scouter wants to wear a little gold pin on their pocket flap, they should do it. It brings credit, not discredit, to all involved--the Eagle who gave it, the scouter him/herself, and all who see it. It only chaffes some uniforming committee people in Dallas, and a few uniform policemen. I've been associated with scouting since the early seventies, and I've never seen uniform nit picking like I have in the last couple years. Ironic that scout uniforming overall is the worst I've seen. I see this as an indictment of uniform police, not validation of their methods. When one appeals to the wearers' sense of pride and teamwork, proper uniforming is a snap.(This message has been edited by desertrat77)

#17 BDPT00

BDPT00

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:53 PM

When uniforming is no longer a method of Scouting, I might be willing to listen to your argument. I've seen Scouters wearing as many as 6 Mentor Pins. Nothing impresses me less. Where do we draw the line on this? How about a dozen? Four on each collar would look pretty cool... sorta like General Patton. Proper uniforming either matters or it doesn't. For me, it does. BDPT00

#18 thriftyscout

thriftyscout

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:09 PM

Thanks all for you replies. It was not my intention to start an argument. I know everyone means well even when we don't agree. It seems clear it is not part of the official uniform. Thanks again. Chuck

#19 desertrat77

desertrat77

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:29 PM

BDPT, while uniforming is a method, it does not automatically justify blindly following a non-binding administrative pamphlet "just because it says so and that's that." As for your example, if someone wanted to wear four pins on each collar, so be it. Won't get any grief from me. Silly looking? Perhaps. Out of reg? Yep...and so what. In the eyes of the beholder. It's a free country, and this is a volunteer org. Again, common sense is the key. Proper uniforming does not happen by thumping people over the head with the regulation. In my experience, the opposite happens. Nit picking begits resentment, and resentment leads to subtle or flagrant violations, and generally lends itself to less credibility for leaders and followers. One sets the example and appeals to followers sense of unity and pride. And their sense of professionalism. The "big boy/big girl" factor. This, in my military and BSA experience, is how you gain longer-lasting, higher levels of excellent uniforming. I think some of the above applies to BSA as well. We are sweating wearing an Eagle Mentor Pin, meanwhile, uniforming across the BSA is at an all time low. Why? Not because of the "illegally" worn Mentor Pin. Because a) scouts and scouters have little pride in the uniform as it is currently designed and b) there are too many unenforceable, annoying rules that tell you how to wear it. I stand by my position. I've got the results to prove it.(This message has been edited by desertrat77)

#20 Philzer

Philzer

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:26 AM

Kudos Desertrat77, I feel you hit it out of the park... :) we are a volunteer organization and heck it's hard enough to have boys show up just for the meetings with them also active in sports, extreme sports or girls etc... Thank you for sharing...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users