OA sash for Scout Sunday

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think we're getting our sashes confused here, or at least, I seem to be.  The original post from 2010 asked about wearing the OA sash at Scout Sunday.  Chadamus resurrected the thread 7 years later

I do believe that one is not to wear the MB sash while wearing the OA sash.  With Boy Scout Sunday being a non-OA event, I'd go with the MB sash.

One often times finds themselves in the middle of confusion when an issue suddenly take a sharp turn off the trail.  The thread deals with OA sashes, the resurrected topic was something altogether off

The general rule of thumb for wearing an OA sash is to wear it when participating in something primarily as a member of the OA, such as an OA event, activity, or when performing service.

For a troop-level formal function such as Scout Sunday (or a Court of Honor), the merit badge sash would be appropriate.(This message has been edited by nolesrule)

I agree with nolesrule. The OA sash is apporpriate for OA events or where the scout's attendance is specifically as a representative/member of the OA.

Scout Sunday would certainly be an event in which a MB sash would be an excellent choice.

Oh, and Welcome to the virtual campfire! Good to have you with us.(This message has been edited by Buffalo Skipper)

Actually, I just recently reread my OA Handbook (admittedly new the latest edition) and found it interesting that wear of the sash, based on the OA handbook, can include Courts of Honor. I'm not at home or I'd provide the publication date and page number.

Wear of the OA sash with the merit badge sash is never ok, and neither sash is ever to be work on the belt. Frankly, I would think the merit badge sash more appropriate for courts of honor. However on the special occasion of an Eagle Court of Honor I could see the young man wearing whatever sash he chooses.

I could see Scout Sunday as an occasion that wearing the mark of unselfish service might fit in. I've never seen any policy, or mention, regarding wear of the OA sash on on Scout Sunday.

To quote Colonel Sherman T Potter: Horsehockey.

This is really pretty simple: To my young Brothers, if the ethic of Cheerful Service is forefront in your mind, wear your Arrow. If the ethic of learning is forefront, wear your MB sash.

If you're an old fart like me, I'm wearing my National Lutheran Association on Scouting polo, and letting the youth members get recognized.

• Upvote 1

Yep national changed the policy on the OA sash sometime in the late 70s or early 80s. Not only can you wear for Scout Sunday, COHs, Blue and Golds, etc. it can also be worn with the professional dress uniform of blue blazer, white shirt, grey slacks and dress tie.

And you still have some folks who go by the old ways.

As for me I'm wearing mine tomorrow with my TCDL uniform, and I'm thinking I will be seeing a few Venturers and advisers with them on as well. Esp. since their is no Venturing MB sash that an 15 yo Venturer can wear with his uniform.

• Downvote 1

While the 1992 OA handbook (most recent copy I have on hand) does state that Courts of Honor are OK, the most recent online handbook quote I could find was posted online in 2005(not sure what the year of the handbook though). The quote reads as follows...

The sash is worn "at OA functions and special Scouting activities, when members need to be identified as Arrowmen rendering special services."

I'll need to pick up the most recent edition of the handbook at the next lodge weekend to find out what the handbook currently states, but I was under the impression that the quote above was the current OA policy.

See that's the point, when the heck is someone in a coat and tie doing OA related work? Yep the current edition does have some wording edited out, but they left wording in reference to a uniform that is only worn on formal occasion still in the passage. that's part of the problem. You go from only at OA fuctions, to ANY scouting function, to function representing the OA,including when the dressuni is on.

Yep very few folks wear them, mostly the pros. However I've seen 2 volunteers wear them, council pres and VP of Finance. And I have a photo of the National Venturing president in one when delivering the report to the President.

John in KC, I would have liked your post just for the Sherman T. Potter quote, but I think you have the right of it. This should be about what the boy feels, if wearing his OA sash on Scout Sunday makes the day, or his service, even a little more special, let him.

We spend far to much time splitting hairs on policy issues, this time would be better spent on program. Although I understand the reason of policy, and it this case I think wearing the OA sash on scout Sunday is within policy, sometimes you have to say "Horsehockey".

I can remember when our OA section adviser was grooming his replacement, having reached the point of no longer being able to physically travel. The new guy was just a few years out of the USMC, a real fire eater. He spent inordinate amounts to time busting our behinds, us being to section officers, over silly little uniform issues. Having reached the breaking point, all of us officers showed up for the Conclave business meetings with every insignia perfectly placed, and spaced, on our pressed and starched Hawaiian shirts ... it was the first time I saw the guy crack a smile. Ends up the young fire eater had a great sense of humor, and was a great guy.