• 488 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:34 PM

1. No, not even venturers past 18. 2. Eagle 94

#22 BDPT00

BDPT00

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:36 PM

1. No. (And why only the Eagle badge? Does this imply that a Life Scout is something insignificant? What's the message?) If 21, why not 25 or 26? Then we could be more in-line with British youth. We're a uniformed organization. I like to wear red socks. Would it have been OK to wear them when I was in the Army? Why not? They're comfortable and funtional, and most people wouldn't care or know the difference anyway. Maybe if enough other people wore them, too, it might become a new regulation. It's my uniform. Why should somebody else care? 2. No (Does that become an issue, too?) BDPT00

#23 ideadoc

ideadoc

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:10 PM

1. No. There is a red, white and blue knot for wear on the uniform by an adult. Why isn't that enough? 2. 1980. Court of Honor was after my 18th birthday. I wore my uniform with my life patch during the court of honor, which I now know to be incorrect (it was five days after my 18th birthday). After the ceremony put the Eagle patch on the shirt where it remains to this day. Never wore the shirt since (got a new uniform - that's when they changed the last time.)

#24 Gold Winger

Gold Winger

• Members
  • 3103 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:48 PM

"We're a uniformed organization. I like to wear red socks. Would it have been OK to wear them when I was in the Army? Why not? They're comfortable and funtional, and most people wouldn't care or know the difference anyway." Huh? What's this have to do with the question at hand? "1. No. There is a red, white and blue knot for wear on the uniform by an adult. Why isn't that enough?" An 18 to 20 year old Scouter is in limbo. He can't sit on the committee, he can't be an SM, all he can do is be ASM. Aren't there other restrictions as well, like he can't be the primary leader indicated on a trip permit? 18, 19, and 20 year old are in limbo in our society. They can vote but they can't drink. They can join the army but they can't buy a pistol. Many police forces won't take 18 year old applicants but they can join the fire department.

#25 BDPT00

BDPT00

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:08 PM

"Huh? What's this have to do with the question at hand? 18, 19, and 20 year old are in limbo in our society. They can vote but they can't drink. They can join the army but they can't buy a pistol. Many police forces won't take 18 year old applicants but they can join the fire department." Well, GW, this is probably a mistake, bit I'll ask you the same question. What's YOUR point? I was talking about uniforming and people just doing what they feel like because they think they have a better idea or that rules don't matter. BDPT00

#26 Narraticong

Narraticong

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:25 AM

I think it's important to remember that Scouting is a game. A game meant to be fun. My point is that as Gold Winger seems to be implying, the 18-21 year old is not really quite a man yet. In a lot of ways, he is still a boy. I am not suggesting anyone break the rules, only that we consider whether it might make the program stronger by changing them. My sole focus in Scouting is to make the program fun for the boys. If you do that, you will surely achieve the goals intended. BDPT00, it is certainly not an issue whether you are an Eagle or not. I'll share with you my reason for asking my question. My experience is that those of us who do wear the Eagle feel very strongly about it. We know how much it means to have that badge pinned on our chest. For that reason, I am sypathetic to letting those 18-21 year olds wear it until they really are recognized as "men". I was interested to see how many of my fellow Eagles feel the same. As to why only the Eagle Badge? Simple. Those young men have reached the pinnacle of Scouting. They are a very small brotherhood who stand separate from all other Scouts and are "marked for life". Elite? Yes. Elitest? No.

#27 docmorgan77

docmorgan77

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:41 PM

!. Yes. My Eagle badge is on a blue beret that I wear to this day in the field. Not worn in Formal settings of any kind, i.e.Troop meetings, COH, etc. I, along with others of my day, wore them at Jamboree in Japan. Not regulation. I am fully aware. The knot adorns my uniform now as it did as an Explorer. I am in favor of the display of the badge. No limit to the age of the displayer.(Ill take the grammar hit.) 2. Eagle 1971 (I was 14)

#28 Gold Winger

Gold Winger

• Members
  • 3103 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:10 PM

"Well, GW, this is probably a mistake, bit I'll ask you the same question. What's YOUR point?" Hmmmm . . . you must have missed it while you were ranting but I was answering YOUR question of "Why 21 and not 25?" You also seemed to have missed the point that the original question was not whether Eagle scouts SHOULD wear their patch after 18 but whether Eagle Scouts SHOULD BE PERMITTED to wear their patch after 18. I'm like Elliot Ness. As the rules stand, I'm opposed to an over 18 Eagle wearing his patch (with the possible exception of his ECOH) however, if the rules should change, I think that might be a good thing.

#29 Hoohaa310

Hoohaa310

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:17 PM

I earned my Eagle in '06, and the patch has stayed on my uniform since then. I turn 19 this march. My reasoning: I earned the rank, i'm wearing it. Whats it matter if i wear a knot that says the exact same thing or a patch that says the exact same thing? This isn't the Army. I realize that some people care if a patch is 1/4" off center or if you wear spoof patch. I think thats what makes scouting fun.

#30 scoutldr

scoutldr

• Members
  • 4442 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:45 PM

1. No 2. Yes 1970 If you don't like what the uniform policies are, then petition to have them changed. That's the example we should be setting.

#31 moxieman

moxieman

• Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 04:47 PM

1. Yes, and I'm in favor of being able to wear it, period, if you earned it. Why? Yes, those in the organization know what the red, white, & blue square knot stands for, but those outside of scouting do not. If I could wear my Eagle Badge (there's your answer to #2--1988) at all times, it would save a lot of "Oh, you're a scout leader...are you an Eagle Scout?" A lot of youth, especially new youth, and cubbies, don't know what the knots mean either. Seeing that their leaders who are Eagles wearing their Eagle Badges would help inspire those youth. Just my three cents (inflation) worth.

#32 kraut-60

kraut-60

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:09 PM

#1 Yes...as the originator of this thread, I would like to see Eagle Scouts be able to wear the cloth insignia on the left shirt pocket from age 18-21...I feel the knot is adequate for Eagles older than 21. #2 No...I am Star Scout from 1974 (still proud to have made 1st class under the old requirements).

#33 NEPAScouter

NEPAScouter

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:04 PM

1. No. 2. Yes, Eagle Class of 1979. I answered the questions as posed, but I wanted to add my two bits: a) If the Eagle rank patch *were* allowed to be worn until 21, then I'd ask why not all other ranks until 21? b) If part of the reason for some voting "yes" to question 1 is that others don't understand the significance of the square knot, then maybe it's more a question of educating others than revamping the insignia guide. A few years ago I had a scout in my troop tell me after he received Eagle two months before his 18th birthday that he was disappointed he couldn't wear his Eagle rank patch after 18. He knew there was the "tiny" (his word) knot insignia. I told him that there are many adults in Scouting who would be only too happy to wear the tiny knot if they could go back in time and do some things differently, and that he should proudly wear that knot to show he is an adult Eagle instead of a youth Eagle. I encouraged him to see the change in the patch as a further indication of his maturation into an adult who can give back to Scouting since youth CANNOT wear that knot. Some might call this "spinning," but two months later when I warmly congratulated him on becoming an adult ASM, he wanted to know where to get that knot! YMMV

#34 JGHowes

JGHowes

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:20 PM

The 70-year old Scouter who wears his Eagle badge is not incorrect, contrary to popular opinion. In fact, Ben Love proudly wore HIS Eagle Scout patch when he was Chief Scout Executive in the 1980s - check out his photos. Unlike Star, Life, etc., Eagle Scout is not merely a "youth rank" discarded at age 18: it is a lifetime award, which is why it is appropriate for an adult of any age to say, "I am an Eagle Scout", not "I was an Eagle Scout". Besides, you're still a "youth" and not an adult in OA and Venturing until 21 anyway

#35 jmwalston

jmwalston

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:48 PM

"Besides, you're still a "youth" and not an adult in OA and Venturing until 21 anyway" The OA slant is irrelevant, if you are 18 or older, you must be a registered Venturer or Scouter as far as the OA is concerned. If a Venturer, then you could wear the rank badge, if a Scouter, the square knot.

#36 BDPT00

BDPT00

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:56 AM

The 70-year old Scouter who wears his Eagle badge is not incorrect, contrary to popular opinion. ** I'd love to see that one in writing. In fact, Ben Love proudly wore HIS Eagle Scout patch when he was Chief Scout Executive in the 1980s - check out his photos. ** I haven't seen such a picture, but is that meant to prove something? Unlike Star, Life, etc., Eagle Scout is not merely a "youth rank" discarded at age 18: it is a lifetime award, ** Another thing that would be interesting to see in writing. BDPT00

#37 Gonzo1

Gonzo1

• Members
  • 1097 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:17 PM

I agree with Beavah it's not worth fightin' over. On the other hand, 18 is 18. HooHah, set a better example. The 70 yr old guy is wearing it on a hat and not the shirt, clearly, shouldn't be worn on the hat, but he is volunteering at SEVENTY!!!! Let the old guy slide, and no, there isn't some arbitrary age to let old guys "slide", just know when to "pick your battles" Make it a great day! Hello to fellow scouter dot com posters, I've been busy over the last year! I hope to post more often, Gonzo1 "survey" 1 No 2 Yes, 1980(This message has been edited by gonzo1)

#38 scoutldr

scoutldr

• Members
  • 4442 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:22 AM

Welcome back, Gonzo. We missed ya! Survey: 1. No. I think the rule should apply to all adults (>18) equally...either wear the badge or the knot, but not both. 2. Eagle class of 70.

#39 gcnphkr

gcnphkr

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:26 AM

I told him that there are many adults in Scouting who would be only too happy to wear the tiny knot if they could go back in time and do some things differently. I've considered leaving the middle of the bottom row empty for my "Regret Knot".

#40 eagle579

eagle579

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:08 AM

I think it should be changed and you should be allowed to wear the patch also,nothing perminent is worn in that spot as a adult, and if you earned it than you should be allowed to wear it!

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

<3My2Eagles, Bing (2)

IPB Skin By Virteq