BSA Snorkeling Award Patch

Where does the BSA Snorkeling Award patch go on the uniform? We had a scout with our troop at camp who earned it this time around. No other scouts in our troop have ever earned it, so it's pretty exiting for us.

Thanks!

Oddly, it doesn't go on the uniform. The Insignia Guide specifies that it goes on the left side of the swim trunks with the Mile Swim and Boadsailing awards. Although the Guide doesn't say, the customary place for the awards is on the left leg of the trunks.

Eisely, I am somewhat sympathetic to your idea. While my boys understand that their patches can be placed on their swim trunks, they are completely opposed to such. Each year the new crop of snorkelers and mile-swimmers file their patches away. It would be good to see some other approved form of display. They still go for the achievements year after year, but refuse to display the patch in the official manner.

I'm not sure about all of them but some of the vocal ones mention that they don't want to mess up the fashion statement they are making with the suits they have. This is sort of an unfair (probably inaccurate) interpretation of mine but it's the best I can do. They aren't embarrassed at being scouts, they just don't want to mess up the suit. Maybe we should require them to purchase and wear official scout bathing suits. Your thoughts?

" Maybe we should require them to purchase and wear official scout bathing suits"

Don't think that there is such a thing.

As for fashion statements with swim trunks, I don't see too many young men making a fashion statement of any sort today.

Some that has struck me as odd is that many of my Scouts wear their underwear with their swim trunks. They say, "it's not underwear, they're boxer shorts" but as the bard said, "Skivvies by any other name . . ." I'm told that they do this so they can hang their trunks even lower and let their skivvies stick out of the top.

Ah, this helps answer something else I've been wondering about - what can go on the back of the sash. GSA allows the back of the vest or sash to be used to display earned patches that aren't part of the uniform -things that only go on the front of the vest. Is that the case with BSA? Who "actually" would need to decide if it could go on the back of the sash?

I think wearing it on the swim trunks would be ok if he used the red ones worn at summer camp by the waterfront crew. He wants to be a CIT next year and work at waterfront, so he hustled to earn what they told him he needed. However, the patch will fade when exposed to sun & chlorine, so it'd have to be replaced every year.

I don't know FOG, most of the boys I know are very fashion aware. My son is much more so than my daughter (both teens). One pair of his swim trunks has flames coming up the sides and around the rear, the other pair has a swirling green and black gecko pattern on it. The patch would look pretty weird on those trunks.

And the hair, the boys have to style it just so. Maybe it's just the boys in this area...

I think I'd better find a copy of the insignia guide.

Unfortunately I do not have a copy of the Insignia Guide readily at hand. I do know that "temporary insignia" are allowed on the back of the sash. "Temporary insignia" are those things that go on the right breast pocket of the uniform, such as camp patches. The guide recognizes that boys accumulate these kinds of things and can wear them only one at a time on the pocket. I would rather see these things on the merit badge sash than worn improperly on other parts of the uniform. The question regarding the patches in question is whether they would fall under the general rubric of "temporary insignia." Frankly, I would just as soon see them on the sash as any place else, regardless of what anyone might say.

Just bought a 2003-2005 edition:

Page 4, "Excess Insignia":

"With the exception of the Cub Scout badges of rank and arrow points, members wear only the insignia that show their present status in the movement. Members should make every effort to keep their uniforms neat and uncluttered. Previously earned badges and insignia--not representing present status--make a fine display on a BSA red patch vest, a trophy hide or blanket, exhibited in the home of the recipient, or at functions where such a display is invited. Members may wear only temporary patches (no badges of rank) on the back of the merit badge sash. Members may wear only one merit badge sash at a time. A merit badge sash is NEVER worn on the belt."

Besides merit badges and temporary patches, the only other thing authorized on the MB sash is the Varsity Letter.

Page 47, OA Sashes:

""Legend strips" or "sash backs" are not official and may not be worn on the sash or with the uniform. The OA sash is not worn with the merit badge sash."

"And you don't see that as a fashion statement? "

I see it as more of lack of style statement.

A fashion statement isn't following everyone else. A fashion statement is when you do something that sets you apart. The first few guys to wear tuxes without ties were making a fashion statement, now not wearing a tie with your tux is just being like everyone else.

Gardyloo

As a BSA leader I was once repremanded for referring to Girl Scouts as GSA. So, I've been waiting on a chance to do the same to someone else. Girl Scouts are the GSUSA. ;)

Maybe the lifeguard patch could be placed on a bookbag that they take to the pool or lake. You know, the bag they carry their CD player and CDs in.

This is just a Dave Steele interpretation of a correct quote from the insignia guide. A BSA snorkeling patch is not a badge of rank and therefore can be worn on the back of the merit badge sash. I can assure you the world will not end if this is done.

The purists among us will insist that because the Insignia Guide names a specific place on a particular item of clothing that it can only be worn as specified.

Either argument can be justified, but I like mine better. It's now up to the Scout to pick a "camp."

DS

ASM7, you're right about GSUSA, I was typing too fast. Hey, at least I didn't refer to the Boy Scouts as the BS :)

I like Dave Steele's interpretation, it makes sense. Although after listening to him last night, I suspect my son is going to want plain red swim trunks with the patch sewn on. Then he can look like the cool Waterfront Guys at camp. (He'll also be ultra-legal).

He wants to go after BSA Lifeguard next summer and even agreed to swimming lessons so he could be a better swimmer.