Need some advice. Twice in our council, I have registered for "Train the Trainer", and twice it's been cancelled for lack of applicants. I've ben told that it's a rquirement for training adult leaders. Does anyone know if this is a requirement, or just a recommendation? I have completed BLT and Wood Badge, and have done Troop level JLT's, which I believe were pretty successful.

I've taken all the training I think there is to take (except for the latest courses), and my understanding is that in order to participate 'on staff' for Scoutmaster Fundamentals or Woodbadge, one has to have taken Train the Trainer. I've done that, years ago, but even then found that the course had a good deal of irrelavancy with regard to training methods at that time. Unless BSA has updated the cirriculum, it is probably still a little behind the times, but all in all, worth the effort, if the course staff is good and 'up-to-date'.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found "Train the Trainer" sessions to be excellent opportunities. The sessions are an excellent time to share ideas with your fellow scouters from throughout the District\Council. They are an excellent way to become a vaulable resource to your Council.

Question: How long is your training good for? Does the card issued expire?

• 3 weeks later...

Train the Trainer does not expire. You only need to take it once. It is assumed that by participating in training courses, on staff, you will keep and expand your knowledge. You may very well be asked to serve on TTT staff, if you're good.

• 3 weeks later...

About ten years ago when I took it in the Transatlantic Council, Train the Trainer was a pre-requisite for taking Cub Scout Trainers Wood Badge. I found that it was fun, but just more of Cub Scout Trainers Wood Badge. In my current council, Train the Trainer is offered almost every year. It is open to everyone, but especially to those who are trainers. To the best of my knowledge, Train the Trainer in our Council is not a prerequisite to anything, whether a trainer or an attendee. It is considered supplemental training.