Does anyone know, is it still possible to purchase the cotton bunting troop flag. Our present troop flag is 30+ years old and in need of retirement. I wish it wasn't so, It is the same flag from when I was a boy and when my father was in the troop. It is just too stained and can't be mended anymore. I seems so cheap to replace it with a nylon flag.

Has anyone seen the old style "guidon" style flag in the reprint of the original handbook for boys? Is it acceptable to make one like it for campouts and hikes.

Thanks for any opinions and suggestions.

DON'T GET RID OF THE FLAG!!!

Take your old flag and have it mounted and framed and hang it on the wall at your meeting hall. Don't "clean it up" either. All those stains and tears are badges of honor and should be preserved. You ought to find someone skilled at preserving old cloth items and get some suggestions so that Scouts 30+ years from now can enjoy it. Your flag is part of your history, protect it.

Don't worry we would never think of getting rid of it. I actually think it is quite a bit older than 30 years. We were actually planning to do just what you suggested, Mike. Thanks for the input. Any ideas on where we can by the cotton troop flag. I know you aren't suppossed to make them, but to be frank, I get so tired sometimes of expensive or cheaply made "official scout" items.

I did some research and found a pile of custom flag and banner shops all over the place, but no "official" BSA cotton flags. My best suggestion is that if you want a really special flag hire a custom flag shop and have one made. As far as if you are "allowed" to do so, I am not aware of anything that says it must be "official." Actually, when I judge Troops at local camporees, I would give you extra points for having a "special" flag. Just do a search using the phrase Custom Flags. If you don't get many hits look at my topic regarding finding stuff on the net. Good luck, I might just look into doing the same thing!

Thanks again Mike. I thought I had read somewhere that making or having your own troop flag made was discouraged. I think we are going to go ahead and arrange to have one made. What did you think about the idea of making a "guideon" style flag like the one in the reprint of the original handbook for boys, pg 367? It would be used for hiking and excursions of a nature that wouldn't lend themselves to a full size troop flag. Thanks again for your opinion.

I am not familiar with the term guidon but I do know that military units for a very long time carried smaller versions of their flags in the field.

It sounds great to me, our guys carry a small US flag when we hike and it sounds really cool to me to have a small troop flag too. Wow, now that I am really thinking about it, why not get scout staves to use as walking sticks and get each boy to carry a short section of lashing rope and when you get to your destination erect a flagpole (conditions permitting) using both? Talk about old school scouting! Go for it!